Painting my GTS by myself

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
As many of you may have already seen, I put my Supra build on hold for a while due to a multitude of reasons . The good news is, for me at least, that since then I picked up another Corolla GTS, a body & auto repair shop, and a bunch of tools. So I figured I should paint this car just to practice since I've never done any bodywork before... I figured, How hard could it be????

History about the car - don't care? then skip to title PAINT JOB.

I had another one of these Corolla GTS' a while back and decided to trade it to a friend of mine for a Toyota Box truck, a gokart, wheels, and a few misc. items. This was probably back in 2009-2010. I missed that car since day one! At the time, I had an 08 Lexus IS250 6 spd (only 6spd sold by Lexus of Lehigh Valley til' this day btw), 91 Cressida Turbo built by me, a couple of MKIII Supras, and the truck, and I really enjoyed driving that car.

One day, driving towards the Lehigh Valley mall, around Fullerton ave I believe, out of my peripheral vision I see this Corolla w/ a 4 sale sign, same color, same year as my old one! I decided to pull around and check it out. I called the number and made an appt. The next day the car was mine!

Here's the old Corolla I had:
IMG_3691_SMALL.jpg

After wheels:
IMG_3858_SMALL.jpg

I talked to my buddy not long ago, the one I traded the car to and to my surprise, he still had the wheels. He had sold the Corolla I traded him and kept the wheels. I bought them back! So on to the paint job...

PAINT JOB:
So since I now own a bodyshop - MAS Collision - I decided to paint this car for practice. Of course I would have the guidance of my crew :naughty:

(Sorry I don't have detailed pictures of every step because I wasn't planning on posting this)

So first I started playing around with colors and did some chops on Photoshop. The colors came out a bit off for some of the pics because I didn't want to invest to much time in it playing around with it.

greenchop.jpg

orangechop.jpg

redchop.jpg

bluechop.jpg

The color I chose will become apparent once I post pics of the car painted. For now, here are some progress pics.

I found this FG rear bumper in our inventory. The bumper was made for a Civic, but I decided to test fit it and see if it could be put to use on my car. I liked it. I liked how it made the rear end shorter and more flat than with the stock bumper, but I wanted to retain the chrome strip that runs along the rear bumper. It was gonna be a pain to integrate the little details using this whole bumper.

IMG_2756.jpg

IMG_2757.jpg

So I decided to just use the bottom part of the bumper and sorta add a lip if you will to the rear bumper. Something like this:
IMG_2761.jpg

I also decided to shave the antenna, but don't have pics of that. Here are more progress pics.

IMG_2801.jpg

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_2806.jpg

In order to same some weight, I also decided to replace the 40lbs steel bumper support for aluminum ones weighting in at 12lbs! I replace both front and rear. pics coming...

Let me hear your thoughts, comments, criticisms, etc...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Looks like fun man, I like how the rear bumper came out. AE92, correct?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
I like the blue too. I don't like the mod you did to the rear bumper. I like how the original one tapers up like our MKIII's. Now it has an overhang similar to your average 4dr sedan. I'm not feeling it.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Poodles;1761662 said:
That blue looks like the metallic blue that came on the WRX/STi's. Big fan of it.

Thanks, me too. That's why it was on my list. I didn't go with blue though... lol

te72;1761690 said:
Looks like fun man, I like how the rear bumper came out. AE92, correct?

yeah, AE92. thanks!

Suprapowaz!(2);1761714 said:
I like the blue too. I don't like the mod you did to the rear bumper. I like how the original one tapers up like our MKIII's. Now it has an overhang similar to your average 4dr sedan. I'm not feeling it.

Yeah, I'm not 100% happy about the sides hanging so low but being a bumper for a civic it would've been a LOT more work to change that. HOWEVER, with that being said, I have to admit that once you see it painted, it doesn't look as bad! I hope I can capture what I'm talking about in pictures. Sometimes cars don't look the same in pics and real life.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Here's a few snapshots with my crappy camera.

The color I decided to go with is *drum roll* Cyber Gray from a Corvette ZR1.

P9260674_small.jpg

P9260675_small.jpg

P9260676_small.jpg

P9260677_small.jpg

P9260673_small.jpg

There's little mistakes all over the place, but I'll one of my guys finish it off for me. It will shine A LOT more than that and will look like glass. Overall for my first experience, I'm absolutely thrilled!

Would I do it again? Ummm, I'll have to think about that one! LOL.

Body work is damn hard! I'm glad I'm the owner LOL...

As far as what I'm doing to it next... Not much - I'll paint the calipers a nice metallic blue. This is the look I'm going for:

cyber-gray-zr1.jpg

lexus_lfa_12_1G0_01.jpg

1010_news_newwheels_02.jpg

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
She's definitely lookin' good!

My wife had a 90 SR-5, but we were in the process of converting it to a GT-S (only needed the engine, the rest of the body/gauges were GT-S)..

then it was plowed into by a drunk-driver at 3 am parked outside:(

We were also planning on JDM Levin taillights, but we'd need to import a rear clip, as the metal is different, and a zenki trueno front..

Zenki Trueno front
IMG_561900683.jpg

Kouki Trueno front
IMG_563900881.jpg

These are the JDM taillights
p1762671_1.jpg

They're 2 piece instead of the 3 piece USDMs, much more flush, and the license plate is lit from below instead of from the sides...

Even though I got the xB for her and she has her Supra, she still wants another AE92 coupe one day.

Keep us updated!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sigh... why can't Toyota make a 2 door Corolla anymore? IIRC, this was the last 2 door model we got. Shame too... looking at newer ones versus this, makes me sad.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
RazoE;1762671 said:
She's definitely lookin' good!

My wife had a 90 SR-5, but we were in the process of converting it to a GT-S (only needed the engine, the rest of the body/gauges were GT-S)..

then it was plowed into by a drunk-driver at 3 am parked outside:(

We were also planning on JDM Levin taillights, but we'd need to import a rear clip, as the metal is different, and a zenki trueno front..

Even though I got the xB for her and she has her Supra, she still wants another AE92 coupe one day.

Keep us updated!

That sucks man! I would be so pissed. Do get another one! I regret trading my last one and that's why I got another one. They are just so simple and fun! Great little cars.

te72;1762746 said:
Sigh... why can't Toyota make a 2 door Corolla anymore? IIRC, this was the last 2 door model we got. Shame too... looking at newer ones versus this, makes me sad.

Ditto. Or at least bring some of the JDM versions to here. I think they have a hot hatch that they've been making for a while.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Murphy's law at it's best!

Big truck was backing out and started turning a little too soon. Driver said he couldn't see my car. The does sit about 48" tall. However I put the blame on the asshole directing the driver.

Depending on what the insurance offers me, I may keep it, fix it and sell it. I won't be keeping it.

This car was all original and I also have a thing about cars with hit q-panels. A fender fine, pretty much anything that you can bolt up a new part is fine, but a q-panel, that will annoy me forever!!!