Painted sawblades thread post up pics of your stock mk3 wheels painted

lithium14

Jan 7, 2011
Austin
Actually... not nearly that complicated. Once you strip off the factory silver paint, all that is needed is some mothers aluminum polish to shine them up, for the accents, I used duplicolor black wheel paint. Wipe a little wd-40 on the polished face taking care not to get ANY on the surfaces that will stay black for accenting. The smallest amount of wd-40 in the wrong spot will ruin the paint. Now paint the whole wheel evenly taking care to get all the nooks and crannies in the spokes. After the paint dries, take a razor and carefully start scraping the paint off the polished face (as you can see me demonstrating in one of the pics). From there it's up to you if you want to clearcoat or leave it as is. I chose to leave it since I tried the clear coat and it just looked... gaudy. I ended up stripping said wheel again and starting over. Cool thing about this, is if some paint chips, it's very easy to touch up and fix.

wingnut

Mar 4, 2012
Va
id like to see gun metal grey. ive seen hondas in my area with lime green and pink wheels.

Skeezix

Supradope
Dec 30, 2009
Regina, SK
Quick job I did on my sawblades, still need to do the other two soon. Have two sets of rims one has paint the others have seen stripped years ago. Picked 4 best ones so I sanded the machine lines out of the one and the paint off the other with 400 then hit it with 600, 800, 1500 wet, 3000 wet (just what the shop had) polished it with that mothers mag polish, sure they would be way nicer with a better polish if anyone can send me in the right direction. Would top it off with centre caps but i have a mix of metal and plastic and the metal ones are bitched. Oh well. Get a picture of them on car next couple days after rain/snow fucks off and I wash it.

attachment.php

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
I ran across this old thread while looking for something else and thought I would revive it with a shot of my machined sawblades.

I had Wheels America do them with blacked out vents about three years ago and they look just as good today. I think this mod looks vastly supra-ior ;) to the original gray paint or any other paint/polish combo I've seen, while still keeping the original classic Supra look the MkIII designers intended. Also, as a by-product of most owner's disdain for the sawblades, and their drive to establish a "custom" look to their cars by slapping aftermarket wheels on them, the originals are now far more rare and desirable!

Last edited:

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Those look very clean radar. It would be a lot more work but I wonder how it would look if each line in the black section matched the polished section.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
Well, the easiest way to get an idea of how they would look is to Photoshop my pic. Otherwise, you would have to hand paint those cross-members, which as you say, would be a lot more work.