Painted or Unpainted Moldings?

bhg_mkiii

el_boricua_luny
Nov 7, 2009
mi
great...just when i was thinking bout leaving my moldings unpainted...this thread emerges with pics....now im confused on whether to paint then or not =/

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
^lol(personal pref on this whole tread) i think the red looks 10X better with matching molding but i hate the color red in general. and every mk3 for that i think the car looks better with color matching moldings. again this is personal preference as for every owner as only the eyes of the beholder can decide what looks the best.

supramk3speed

Dec 4, 2008
Texas
I think with it painted it makes the front sidemarkers look to end abrubtly, making it look wierd. Unpainted makes it look like it flows with the rest of the car and keeps with its design. Its your chioce, me personally have not decided just because of the sidemarkers, lucky me my father in law owns a body and paint shop with a color match chart. My bumper was white but looks like it had never been painted seprerately;)

Mastapip

Apr 20, 2009
Ft. Worth Tx
I vote painted... but in a slightly different way ^__^

p1480161_1.jpg

RedComet13

Rock n Rolla
Mar 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
My 91 mk3 is about the same as the first picture set Posted by Supra28.
My Moldings already came prepainted with the fresh paint coating the body, But After seeing a few red supras with black/faded gray moldings im happy I didn't dish out the dough because I would've definently Painted them Its just Nicer Looking expecially when polished up. I've even considered Shaving and filling the moldings And I guess its better to imagine them painted then Black for example purposes. :naughty:

Gilsdorf

Street Dragon
Jun 18, 2005
Reno, NV
Stock '89 grey trim:
p1480492_1.jpg

After I found some Super White trim and clear rear side markers:
p1480492_2.jpg

Currently:
p1480492_3.jpg

This is what I think looks good on my car . . Do what ever you think looks good on yours.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
in thiss case^^ it does make the car a lot cleaner. Painted mouldings allow the car to looks a little bit new. Unless your car is a 91/92 red with the darker red mouldings i would paint it the same color as the car. My cousin's 92 red mouldings look a little bit darker than his paint and i dont like it IMO.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
Hey Thanks Supra28 for posting my car ( the rolling red with black duct)
p1480862_1.jpg

p1480862_2.jpg

p1480862_3.jpg

I tried to get some close up pictures. IMHO I think matched moldings are more stylish. I think contrasting molding is garish. Everyone know fat people shouldn't were stripes.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
I like how the molding sets off the color of the car. All newer cars either come with matched color trim or no trim at all, making them look bland and all the same. With the off-set colors, it defines the car more.

Call me old-fashioned, but even when I paint mine black it's going to keep it's moldings the same color. Which reminds me...

picture.php

Can anyone "repaint" (i.e. - picture edit) my car as a black MKIII? I'm curious to see how it looks with the trim and wheels the same color as they are now.