p/s pump replacement

tacoma

Mar 12, 2006
canada
going to replace my p/s pump once my pump comes in. first time to replace my pump. any helpful tips on how to remove and replace the pump would be great.

thanks Russ

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
have a drip pan under the car to catch all the fluid that will drain out. It's guaranteed to make a mess. You'll have to start with the PS resevoir. Oh yeah, replacing the pump is a RPITA! Luckily I haven't had to do it to mine yet.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
its NOT A PITA it took literally like less than 30 mins including flushing and refillin fluids. the hardest part is taking off the high pressure hose because its tighetened with a banjobolt if i remember.
just drain the reservoir
take off serpentine belt
unbolt fluid lines
unbolt old ps pump, put new one in its place and hook everything bck together

tacoma

Mar 12, 2006
canada
sounds good guess im gonna have to find out for my self how much of a PITA it will be. looks like theres not that much room to work around it but we'll see

thanks Rus

Ryan_V

Mar 1, 2009
Austin
Depending on how you look at it, it could be a PITA.

I have the stock sc300 fan shroud so just removing the serpentine belt was slightly difficult. I used a BOX end wrench on the tensioner, then got a socket on the end of a breaker bar to push the tensioner down...no big deal!

Jack up the car slightly so that you can slide a drip pan under that side.

Remove the line at the pump that goes down to the steering rack, and doign that will drain the resevoir as well.

Undo the bolts that hold the pump on the bracket, yank it out.

To remove the pulley without a puller you can put the pulley sideways in a vise and remove the bolt easily without damaging anything.

It's actually very easy..

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
i replaced mine while the motor was out just in case, but after getting the motor in, it wouldnt be that hard. I'm more worried about the ALT needing replacement. Althought with access to a lift its not gonna be that hard either. With out one it would be pretty hard.

SupraMedical68

Formerly medic91x
Feb 26, 2007
Nashville/Clarksville
"replaced mine while the motor was out just in case, but after getting the motor in, it wouldnt be that hard. I'm more worried about the ALT needing replacement. Althought with access to a lift its not gonna be that hard either. With out one it would be pretty hard."

I replaced my ALT last year, and it really wasn't that bad w/o a lift. With Driftmotion having them for such a reasonable price you may want to go ahead and just knock it out. :)

Last edited: