Overheating. WTF

MA71Turbo

Jan 16, 2006
Santa Maria, CA
Ok here it goes. i blew a head gasket on my 91 turbo, got it going again but this damn car will not stop overheating. ive replaced the radiator, bought 2 waterpumps, new fan clutch, 3-4 thermostats, ran no thermostat,bypassed the heater core, flushed the crap outta the system, burped the cooling system for like an hour. compression is damn near perfect. checked timing, dead on. car drives awesome, but wont stop overheating. anyone got any ideas

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
Is the engine really overheating? Maybe the gauge sending sensor is bad and its just telling the gauge that its hot.

NATAN666

yarrrrr
Apr 4, 2005
BC
user.dccnet.com
heh... seems likely. the gauge isnt very trusthworthy. at this point you might as well try getting an aftermarket water temp gauge and probe and see if it reads cooler.

amd_hcds

Dec 20, 2005
Chicago,IL
Radiator cap? and trust me the stock gauge is crap any 3$ gauge is more accurate than the stock one. if the car is not showing signs of overheating other than the stupid gauge run an aftermarket gauge and see.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
or your head is warped to hell and you didnt fix that when you replaced the head gasket?

did you pressure test the cooling system?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
There's two OEM rad caps. Make sure your have the right one. They both fit but one does not touch the rad sealing lip because it is too short.

With the engine hot, is the top hose squishy or firm?

mtoxracerfss

Boost Addict
Oct 8, 2005
Toledo
What head gasket is in there. Ive seen a guy blow a new OEM head gasket in 3 hours no lie.

ALSO! when you did your head gasket did you mill the head and block? Did you use ARP bolts? Did you torque to 75 - 80?

One last thing. If you have cats, check to see if they are plugged. Can cause an engine to run HOT.

mattjk

Permanent Ban
May 18, 2006
Huntington Beach
www.cardomain.com
I know this hardly ever happens but I've seen it personally. Check to see if the plugs are in tight enough. A freind of mine put in plugs by hand and never tightened them all the way (Crush the washer) . He went out for a test drive and came back with a glowing exhaust manifold and overheating engine.

Might as well check since you've done everything else.

MA71Turbo

Jan 16, 2006
Santa Maria, CA
Head checked out great and was resurfaced, block was done by me. rad cap is fine. Whole system is tight, not a leak anywhere. Stock toyota gasket torqued to 75 w arps. The entire cooling system is new, there has to be a blockage somewhere.didnt want to but im gonna have to pull the head and see whats up

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
"Block was done by me".
That means cleaning it but no surfacing? Do a block test to check for exhaust in the coolant. Sounds like a bhg.

Highly unlikely there is a blockage that would cause your overheating like that, at least not without obvious signs of corrosion or debris buildup in the cooling system that you would have noticed that when the head was off.

Most people don't really appreciate the need to surface the block for a new head gasket until they go through what you are going through right now. I'll cross my fingers for you that it's not another bhg.

MA71Turbo

Jan 16, 2006
Santa Maria, CA
yes i cleaned it but did not have it surfaced as it was still in the car. did coolant test, didnt look like there was any combustion getting in the system. might just be another bhg. no biggie ill just do the damn thing again