Overheating woes

7MGFY

Boost Fiend
Sep 14, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
What things can I do to improve cooling? I have an 88T with a new stat rad cap flushed with new coolant and the engine only has 1200 miles SMOH I'm about to buy a Mishimoto 3 row aluminum radiator I also have cut the jiggle valve off the stat which is a 190deg unit.

rawmk3

Jul 5, 2008
IL
7MGFY;1140707 said:
What things can I do to improve cooling? I have an 88T with a new stat rad cap flushed with new coolant and the engine only has 1200 miles SMOH I'm about to buy a Mishimoto 3 row aluminum radiator I also have cut the jiggle valve off the stat which is a 190deg unit.

Some simple things are to, Get the 3 core radiator, some good fans (electric preferably) If your car is an Auto, get a good trans cooler from lke jegs of summit. You can also run additives like water wetter too. Periodically do things like back flush your cooling system to keep crap out of the cooling journals, and keep things flowing nicely. Make sure your water pump is in good shape, and maybe something like some pulleys would help. You can also use a lower temp T-Stat too. 190 is up there, you can run 180 deg just as easy.

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
rawmk3;1140719 said:
Some simple things are to, Get the 3 core radiator, some good fans (electric preferably) If your car is an Auto, get a good trans cooler from lke jegs of summit. You can also run additives like water wetter too. Periodically do things like back flush your cooling system to keep crap out of the cooling journals, and keep things flowing nicely. Make sure your water pump is in good shape, and maybe something like some pulleys would help. You can also use a lower temp T-Stat too. 190 is up there, you can run 180 deg just as easy.

absolutely do not use a colder thermistat. It will only make your overheating problems worse.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ Not the only bad advice in that post.

OP: Improving the cooling system is one thing, using such improvements to compensate for an underlying problem is another. Since you're basically stock and since the stock system is more than adequate you should find the root cause of the overheating rather than attempting to fix it using band-aids.

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
rawmk3;1140719 said:

Electric fans are garbage compared to the stock fan / clutch (as long as it's in working condition, look into rebuilding the clutch if it fails the hot / cold spin test)

Oh, and don't change your pulleys either, I would not recommend that.

Definitely stick with STOCK SPEC T-Stat and Radiator cap!!

And while the trans cooler is not a bad idea, what the hell does it have to do with overheating?

Like JetJock said, don't try and use band-aids, either you have air in your system, your T-Stat could be faulty, your radiator could be clogged in portions, your fan clutch could be shot, make sure you have a fan shroud, and all the seals around the radiator are intact, as well as the undercover

7MGFY

Boost Fiend
Sep 14, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
Ok more info Im running a 14" electric fan the car came without clutch fan also no shroud... Impossible on the BHG because it was rebuilt and done right... well anythings possible... I read somewhere about parking on a hill and squeezing the shit out of the upper rad hose havent tried that yet will try tonight though

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
park on a hill and see if u have air in the system. don't squeeze the shit out of it, some times gently squeezing the lower radiator hose will burp the system it does for honda's. run a 180 degree t stat so it will open at a lower temp and run colder coolent threw the engine. could be a clogged rad. or bad water pump or the worst bhg. test it and inspect!

7MGFY

Boost Fiend
Sep 14, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
did the hill thing and the level in the rad went down and I added more coolant.... Seems like its a bit better still gonna get that 3 row rad though :)

4U2QUIK

1UZFE SWAP DUDE!!!
jetjock;1140739 said:
^ Not the only bad advice in that post.

OP: Improving the cooling system is one thing, using such improvements to compensate for an underlying problem is another. Since you're basically stock and since the stock system is more than adequate you should find the root cause of the overheating rather than attempting to fix it using band-aids.

oohhww.... Guess I got owned on that one.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Few things:
-Ditch the dinky electric fan that probably came off a honda and not a 3.0 turbocharged engine (hint, more power = more heat)
-Stock t-stat is 88C = 190F
-ALWAYS assume the previous owner sold it because of some issue. Also assume that they where completely incompetent and any mods they did where completely rubbish unless proven otherwise.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
4U2QUIK;1141107 said:
oohhww.... Guess I got owned on that one.

Nah, you didn't ;)
JJ was agreeing with you...running a colder stat is not a good idea for 90% of the climates in the US. Some of the other "advice" (fans, pulleys) raw was handing out is not a great idea either.