Overheating Problem

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
So as the title states my 88 7mge is overheating I just had a new radiator and new thermostat put in two days ago and it drove fine no overheating issues then yesterday I was driving and the engine temp guage went into the red and then dropped back down to normal. So what could the problem be? I have talked to some shops and they say they think its a BHG but im not so sure because the car is not showing any symptoms. also the whole head and gasket was replaced at 70,000 miles (the car has 112,000 on it currently) the car is also an automatic so it has never been taken to redline. What do you guys think?

Thanks, Connor

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
When does it get hot? At stops or moving? How fast did it get hot and cool back down?

Could just be a loose connection for the stock gauge sensor. Could be fan clutch. Could be bhg.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Check the fan clutch too, it's easy.

It should feel like the fan pushes a huge gush of air when you rev the motor when it's at operating temp (rev it in park with the hood open, and stand next to the engine and you should feel the rush of air, keep away from the fan though). If it feels like it's pushing the same amount of air when the engine is revved at room temp as it does when it's near 200 degrees then the fan clutch is bad. You should also hear a difference in the amount of air moving, it's very distinctive. The fan clutch will be engaged when you first start the car for a little bit before it releases and starts operating normally, so disregard what it does for the fist 30 seconds after you start it when you do this test.