Overheating problem on fresh 1jzgte vvti swap

CalRonExpress

Nov 23, 2013
the garage
Hey folks, just finished a 1jz swap in my pickup and after taking it for a small test run i noticed it started to boil the coolant as u can expect i panicked shut the engine off and trailered it back home. Now what could be causing this problem I've checked the T.stat, all hoses and connections, all turned up OK but still overheats when i try to drive it, it just blows the coolant out the overflow line when the T.stat opens and water starts moving. Pleas help guys I'm going nuts here, sorry for the long post.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Is their any water in your oil, maybe on your oil cap mixed up like a bad milkshake?
Do the 1jz thermostats stick open when they go bad? Seems like they do. Are you using the hydrofan? Is everything associated with it working properly?

CalRonExpress

Nov 23, 2013
the garage
No oil/water mixture in rad or oil cap and im using 2 electric fans bcuz of space constraints no shroud, grill or bumper. But there is 1 line I'm not so sure if i have i connected it right, I'll take a pic in the morning of that line.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Is the radiator cap good?

Usually that only happens from either a bad head gasket or a bad radiator cap.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Ever get this figured out? Other likely suspects:

-Radiator is old and / or clogged.

-Air is lazy. By this I mean you really need some ducting or shrouds to direct air through the radiator. Another potential idea, depending on the application, hood louvers.

CalRonExpress

Nov 23, 2013
the garage
Didn't quite get around to fixing this I've been busy for the past couple of week but I'll get to it this weekend, I'll post the results thanks for all the replies.