overheating issue,,,yea another one

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
goes through about a gallon of water a day. I never see any puddles, and there is never any exhaust smoke.Ever. I just did the headgasket, used a toyota gasket and arp bolts Torqued to 85 ftlbs.. just put a Known working water pump on and a new 195 thermostat. It seems like it only gets hot when the coolant gets low and gets put under a load, it cools slightly when off throttle, so where the fuck can it be going????? again NO SMOKE, NO OIL/COOLANT MIX...anyone have any input on this,,, going out of my mind trying to think,, im going to to a few tests tonight.
also a side note, as the temp starts to climb the heater gets cold..
Btw car is a 87 turbo auto supra.

Last edited:

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
^ what he said. if the heater goes cold is casue these nothing it in. the heatercore is more or less behind the stereo so it will dump on the passenger side.

could also be a pinhole in a hose, one that only shows under pressure.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
That water is going somewhere. You gotta find out where. ;)

That's a ton to be burned off without significant smoke, so I bet you have a leak. I had a good leak at the back of the head and it dripped onto the exhaust and most all of it evaporated before hitting the ground. Took a while for me to find that one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
ok i will check the carpets again but i never smell it.. Heres the deal with the heater.. it takes forever most days to get warm air out of the vents as in comes to full operating temp and sometimes have to wait 5 mins or so to actually have heat,, and it still comes and goes intermittently. when it works it blasts heat. i will pull the carpets and check it out.. if anyone Else has anything to add feel free. Thanks again

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Also, check the 90* hose under the cps and the 90* on the back of the head. You have a pin hole somewhere and its just misting it out on the hot engine or something. or its a bad heater core and your going to hate all that water in your car.... =/

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
OK. Checked carpets they are all dry.. I do believe the system is becoming over pressurized... If you start the car with the cap off it sprays everywhere. And,when I just,went to lunch I started the car after it was dead cold and literally only,on for about 20secs when I took the cap off to add water it was pressurized.... Im starting to think bhg again.... Maybe it didnt seat right... Overpressurized=boils the water right out of it creating steam and more pressure.... Also a side note, I put the car in park amd held it at 3k for about a minute with periodic revs to about 4500 or so and the temp stayed normal... Rad cap was recently replaced and psi checked.. It builds enough pressure to still leak from the rad cap sometimes...

Last edited:

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
No. For example i just went to lunch earlier and when i went down the hill it was fine, but when i was coming back up the hill it almost hit redline on the temp. after i let off at the top and leveled out it went back to normal. im going to compression test each cylinder with the rad cap off and see any bubbles pop up, and pressure test rad with spark plugs out and use a boroscope to see anyleakage in the cylinder(s).I think the head is warped.

jonahs_supra

May 17, 2011
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
that would suck if your head was warped

i blew my headgasket a month ago
MHG and ARPs(not installed by me)
what was happening with me...
i would drive 40 miles highway to work(ever since january)
before heading home i would have to add about 2 qts of water/coolant to overflow resevior
my problem was the PO didnt get block decked
so what im thinking is the headgasket would seep a little air at a time into cooling system
then finally when i did a few good hard 4th gear pulls on the highway she finally let go completely lol

but mine was doing exactly the same as yours
when going up steep hills it would over heat(not nearly as fast or bad as yours)

if your losing that much coolant there should be signs of a leak somewhere
my leak was coolant was spraying out of my overflow resevior

after you perform your checks tonight...if they show ok
then i would try to testing the coolant for exhaust gasses using a combustion leak tester
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=-5KUTvfyKsqgtweuwpiGBw&ved=0CHQQ8wIwAA#

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Ok, i put the cooling system in a vac, and filled it that way. it seems ok for now, but i still dont have heat.. i can see the arm on the heater control valve moving but what are the chances that is bad? heater core hoses are 145ish in and 117ish out, so there is definate heat transfer,, just nothing actually coming from the vents.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
vac filling the cooling system.... damn wish i though of that. as for no heat out the vents, the outside valve controls flow, just ziptie the arm up. if you go heat then its the problem, otherwise sounds like the inside vent isnt opening.

sogi99

Jan 2, 2008
Elk Grove, CA
how old is your radiator? I have the same symptoms as yours and I had the original radiator. I replaced it with a cx racing radiator and that fixed the problem for me.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
SupraSean;1766687 said:
OK. Checked carpets they are all dry.. I do believe the system is becoming over pressurized... If you start the car with the cap off it sprays everywhere. And,when I just,went to lunch I started the car after it was dead cold and literally only,on for about 20secs when I took the cap off to add water it was pressurized.... Im starting to think bhg again.... Maybe it didnt seat right... Overpressurized=boils the water right out of it creating steam and more pressure.... Also a side note, I put the car in park amd held it at 3k for about a minute with periodic revs to about 4500 or so and the temp stayed normal... Rad cap was recently replaced and psi checked.. It builds enough pressure to still leak from the rad cap sometimes...

Overpressurized means the water boils at a higher temperature...if it is actually steaming up then you most likely have a BHG. Do a block/pressure test and all that stuff.

edit: That'll teach me for not reading the entire thread...good luck on the secong HG job!