overflow tank cap?

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
how does the overflow tank cap work?

cause i finished my rebuild about 400mi ago w/ a mhg and arp studs and my car seems to push the coolant out the overflow tank and i noticed today that the tank was almost empty yet it still was pushing it out. i thought it would only push it out when it got full

please any help would be great.

Mike

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
When you installed the MHG (what kind?) did you have both the block and head decked? What torque did you use on the ARP studs?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Excellent!

Just so I got this right...your car is pushing coolant out the radiator into the tank. The tank is overflowing as a result. When it cools does it suck the coolant back into the radiator?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Have you properly "burped" the system?
400 mi... sounds like you're overdue for a retorque, but that may be another story now...

jdub: Happy 666th post :evil2:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It is supposed to go in and out. The cap is made that way. As it heats, it expands, and as it cools it contracts. That is why there is a resevoir labeld hot and cold, or low and full.

Of course, you could have problems aside.

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
i have a new cap... a blitz 18.5lb one a did a retourge about 50mi ago and i will do one at 500mi.

yes it pushes it out when hot and sucks it in when cold.

i checked my compression and i'm sitting around 162 on all 6 cylinders

i might try and burp the system again

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Mike: If there's Air in the system it will get local hotspots and boil the coolant as it passes creating steam and pressure and that will blow any coolant in the way into the recovery tank.

It's really important with our cars to remove as much of the air as you can.

I use a piece of small radiator hose with a big funnel jammed into the radiator neck then park the car so it's nose up in my driveway and fill it.

sleepersupra

i hate this car
Nov 5, 2005
Broken Arrow, Ok
IJ. said:
Mike: If there's Air in the system it will get local hotspots and boil the coolant as it passes creating steam and pressure and that will blow any coolant in the way into the recovery tank.

It's really important with our cars to remove as much of the air as you can.

I use a piece of small radiator hose with a big funnel jammed into the radiator neck then park the car so it's nose up in my driveway and fill it.

ok cause when it starts to get warm ( in between half and 2/3) and i stop the car i can hear it boiling and steaming so that makes a whole lot more sense to me and i am better to relate to it.

thanks IJ