Over-spray problem.

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
Now from far away or at first glance its not noticeable at all, and for the most part the paint looks well taken car of(aside from a couple stone chips on the front), but when you looks closely its got this horrible over spray where the body shop decided to mask it off instead of the removing trim:: angry :::icon_evil. In some spots the paint is even chipping away from the seam of the trim and paint, exposing the old paint underneath. If any one has any suggestions it would be great. BTW the car was painted by the previous owner.

p1850774_1.jpg

Not so bad right???

sm_photo_missing.jpg

It gets worse

sm_photo_missing.jpg

^^^ Thats between the window trim and the door...
:nono::: facepalm :::: facepalm ::

It doesn't look too promising for solutions besides a proper paint job, but I want to see what you guys think.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Can't tell what the bottom pic is but the middle one you can tape off the paint and then use like acetone or paint thinner and use a sponge or rag and remove it from the molding. Not hard.

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
hvyman;1850775 said:
Can't tell what the bottom pic is but the middle one you can tape off the paint and then use like acetone or paint thinner and use a sponge or rag and remove it from the molding. Not hard.

lol I was planning on doing that this weekend actually, but its the actual cracking paint that I'm more concerned about. Oh and the bottom pic is the window trim(the piece of trim that a part of it is covered by the side mirror).

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Use remover on the trim with a Q-tip and get rid of the stuff that shouldn't be there. (If you got hardened paint this could take a while)

You will probably remove some of the black paint that you DO want there as well, so you'll have to touch that up as well. A generic gloss black should do the trick.

Where the paint is cracking will be a bit trickier. You will have to remove the chipped paint and see what's underneath. If that's underneath the trim (IE: not visible) then it can be carefully removed and hit with a touch-up to keep any metal/primer from being exposed. If it's not directly visible, this will do fine.

MK3Supra17

Jun 8, 2011
Toronto
sm_photo_missing.jpg

^^that's the trim I'm talking about, I'm not worried about the paint on the trim, but the paint chipping away(shown in previous pictures). I was thinking of just taking the trim off, sanding, spot putty the cracked area and shoot it with some paint, but this problem is all over the car(windshield, hatch, rear quarter panel windows). I guess ill just have send it over to a body shop when I can afford it.

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
There's nothing that can be done about the paint peeling back off the car. it's a bad paint job that needs to be redone eventually.