Over heating issue?

Thomas

Apr 18, 2014
Washington
So in the last week i had to drive to my girlfriends house for the first time, which up a really big hill. My Supra hasn't over heated in months, only once and that's when i found i needed a new thermostat. So it's been a clean drive since then, but as i went up this hill i watched the temperature gauge slowly moving up, reaching the top as i pulled in the driveway and starting smoke/steam (Can't remember). (quite embarrassing) I have no idea why it would over heat out of no where like this, fluids are all good, i check them every Sunday. it's a 7mge engine, everything is basically stock or replaced oem.
Any ideas on what caused this, and how to fix the problem? I am not really skilled in trouble shooting yet, and i'd rather fix it myself then spend money at a shop.
It DID have a bhg when i bought it two years ago, but the head was completely redone and new gaskets, the full works so i have not had any problems until this hill.
(I thought this post would be appropriate here since its not technical engine talk and just a question, sorry if in wrong section.)

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Where did it start smoking from>?

If it was from the exhaust its most likely bhg.

If it was from under the hood it is prolly due to a coolant leak.

Also could have air in the system.

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
First thing you should do when your car starts to overheat is turn your heater on high if your temps come back down that points to your radiator being clogged or debris blocking the front of radiator stopping air flow. You said you where driving up the hill so your fans shouldn't be the problem. If it started overheating when you where stopped then the fans can also be a possibility.