OS Giken Triple Help

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
I have acquired an OS Giken triple disk clutch as well as some parts for an OS Giken double disk, however I am not sure if I recieved everything. First question should be an easy one. Which cover do I use between these two for a triple disk application? They both seem to bolt on fine.

oscovers.jpg

Next has to do with the movement alteration kit. According to my research I have seen two different styles of this kit. The one pictured is the one I have.

1. Will this work with a triple? I tested the clutch out in my spare R154 and it seems to hit the sleeve with the bearing on it before full spline engagement is achieved on the disk closest to the flywheel. According to RHDJapan two different sized sleeves are used depending on the clutch kit. The information on this is hard to get. http://www.rhdjapan.com/jdm-low/OS-Giken-Push-to-Pull-Converter-10885

2. The black part pictured will not bolt to the bellhousing properly(it bolts to the housing where I removed the two bellhousing bolts in the picture). The pattern is correct, but a rib inside the housing is in the way. I could grind the housing, but I don't feel I should have to do that. Am I missing parts?

3. Where the rod from the slave cylinder should meet the lever on the movement alteration kit, there is just a hole. In other words, the rod has nothing to push against. Again, am I missing parts?

Thanks in advance

Dave

oskit.jpg

osbrkt.jpg

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA

This push pull kis it probably made for a JZ, differences in the bellhousing castings will make it so it won't bolt up as it would in a 1JZ belhousing

There is a special rod for the slave cylender that makes the rod legnth adjustable... it's like a nut that goes on the end of the specially threaded rod.. so yes in this case you are missing a part.

If you send RHDjapan questions, they are very helpfull and will get back to you ASAP.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
Thanks Hotts. What you said makes a lot of sense and after finding a 1jz bellhousing inside pic it def seems like that could be the case. I'll get in touch with rhdjapan and update this thread.

I am still auto. Just tooling around in the basement. In the future I think I want to go back to the R154. Just don't want to go through this type of BS in the middle of the actual swap back.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Contact f&h performance.. He has a os giken triple for his 7m

A very nice clutch I might add, I loved driving the thing. Very easy to drive (starting in 2nd with his broken trans, lol)

RHDJapan

Sep 26, 2008
Tokyo
Hello, this is Patrick with RHDJapan. It looks like you have the TS3B series OS Giken Triple Plate and either cover will work just fine. We do not know any history of the clutch but assuming that you purchased them together and that they were used together you should have no problem on the length of the sleeve. We have some older OS Giken catalogs in storage which I believe have the schematics for each of the converter kits. If we can find it we will get back with you. Also, it would be a good idea to check if the discs will hold out for you. Can you verify the thickness of each of the discs?

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the response. Disk 1 (closest to the flywheel) is 3.98mm Disk 2 is 3.65 and disk 3 is 3.53. They are 6 puck disks.

The sleeve I have measures 78mm without the bearing. With the bearing it measured 83.5mm. The problem I am having is that the sleeve is actually all the way back against the bearing retainer plate with the fingers of the diaphragm up against the bearing on the sleeve the 1st disk still does not engage fully on the spline. It only goes about halfway on if that. I also saw an ebay add with an 7mgte os giken clutch that had an entirely different movement alteration kit. That coupled with the fact that this one wont bolt to my R154 makes me think I need a different kit.

47ff_1.JPG

Edit, this was a twin however.

Also I found this kit which is identical to mine which looks like that straightens out the cover mystery to any else interested. The one on the right in my pic is the one this kit uses:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OS-G...5&_trkparms=72%3A1194|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I have a question, not sure if you've looked, but if you've got a movement alteration kit for a 1JZ R154, is the flywheel meant for the 7M, or the 1JZ, just thought I'd ask to be sure, haha!

If you do end up needing a different movement alteration kit, OS Giken should sell one meant for the 7M R154 I would think, since they make clutch kits for it.

Jeff

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
I guess to better clear up the problem, here is a little diagram I put together showing the difference between the 1jz bellhousing and the 7mgte and the part that came with the movement alteration kit that wont bolt up. You can see how it looks as if it would fit the 1jz bellhousing and the 7mgte bellhousing has a rib right in the way.

bells.jpg

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
I think the best option for the price is to get the tilton tripple disk push bearing and build your own bracket its less complex then the movement alteration kit cheaper lighter more effiecient easier to come by that is what my plans are when speaking to tilton they sugested i get a 3/4 master cylinder because it will be tasked and bearly work possibly ? people suggest using the 4 runner master cylinder because its 3/4 for some of them!

you could usually get a tilton hydrolic release bearing like the one with the 2jz kits for about 300-400 ready to go after you make your own mounting bracket!

on a side note: the 2JZGTE JZA80 uses a 5/8 clutch cylinder also but the reason it works with their push bearing is because the tiltion clutch is Carbon/Carbon so it makes enough clearence to release.

I would go through tilton when putting together a multiplate clutch release bearing if your kit didnt come with the hard to come by movement alteration kit for the R154

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
OS Giken: Yes, Mark got back to me. I am ordering the kit as we speak. Thank you for the help.

Evilempire: I will be recieving the correct alteration kit designed for this clutch. It's only $450 and I can still use both toyota cylinders then. I remember Ron having a slave fail on his Tilton a while back and his kit was redesigned with a heat shield or something. Clever thought, especially when you see what spec did with their new clutch. When you think about it, it does have a simple function.

joliroger4

Flying Dutchman Pilot
Apr 4, 2005
New Jersey
www.geocities.com
Just an FYI for anyone else with an OS Giken. I'll post pics once it arrives.

Hi David,

Yes, since you have a TS3B for MA70 Supra 7MGTE, the correct movement alt kit should be:

Part # TY011-CC30M

MSRP: $450

We estimate about 6-8 weeks delivery to our warehouse, and up to another week from here to your dealer.

Airshipping is also available if you need it asap; that would cut the delivery time to our warehouse to about 1 week or less. The shipping cost for the expedited delivery will probably be around $150-$200 (estimated)

If you decide to get the overhaul kit B as well (disks, center plates, pressure plate, cover bolts, and cover):

Part# TY011-CC30B

MSRP: $1290

Hope everything works out for you, let us know if you need additional info.

Regards,