Ordering a JDM motor?

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
I didn't know exactly which section to put this in.

By browsing JDM motor sites found my Google, how the hell am I supposed to know if that site is trustworthy? I don't want to spend $1200+ and then get a big hunk of useless metal. Does anybody have any experience or know anyone who does?

laotionracer101

Jan 8, 2010
Arkansas
Well i dont personally know any, But there are a few guys around here that have such experiences. Sorry i couldnt help. But the info is out there

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Thats the problem, you dont know. The best bet is to rebuild it after you get it otherwise its all up to luck whether or not it is going to last.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
I got my 7M swap from tigerjapanese.com and was very happy with it. Appears to be a low mileage motor, perfect bearings, clean inside, turbo had minimal shaft play and didn't smoke. Of course I blew the headgasket after 3000 miles but I was expecting that..lol. Shipping rate is reasonable and it is lift gate service so it'll get dropped off at your house. They've gone up on their prices about $200 since I got mine a couple years ago. You should still assume any motor you get is a junkyard motor and you should be ready to rebuild if necessary.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
WhtMa71;1636797 said:
I got my 7M swap from tigerjapanese.com and was very happy with it. Appears to be a low mileage motor, perfect bearings, clean inside, turbo had minimal shaft play and didn't smoke. Of course I blew the headgasket after 3000 miles but I was expecting that..lol. Shipping rate is reasonable and it is lift gate service so it'll get dropped off at your house. They've gone up on their prices about $200 since I got mine a couple years ago. You should still assume any motor you get is a junkyard motor and you should be ready to rebuild if necessary.

What should I be ready to do? HG obviously, but internals as well? I'm not wanting to have a broke ass motor sitting in my garage, waiting for $5,000 to be put in just to make it run.

wornoutsupra

i gots a poopra
Jan 23, 2010
canton,ohio
i second tigerjapanese.com I bought my 1jz from them and I got it quick except my tps got smashed from shipping and I was missing a map sensor but other then that they were great and easy to work with

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Greek;1636813 said:
What should I be ready to do? HG obviously, but internals as well? I'm not wanting to have a broke ass motor sitting in my garage, waiting for $5,000 to be put in just to make it run.

5k for a rebuild..? unless your goinfoed spent 3800 on my car since i bought it for 400...i did all arps 57trim titan mhg 1k in machine work kyb shocks with st springs apexi muffler megan (half ass downpipe) with 3in all the way back fluidlyne radiator...i did all that for under 4k so no it should not cost you 5k just to get it running...i could of spent less to get mine running but i wanted something i could work with to get more power evenutally

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Be prepared to replace the headgasket and bearings at the very least if you're getting a 7M. If you're wanting to fix the headgasket problem for good, be prepared for a metal gasket, head studs, and machine work, which will require you to disassemble the motor.

SupraSean

SPRASEAN MTHRFKR
Mar 3, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Welcome to the Neighborhood Of 7m's. They are like a Good Whore, You Know its gonna Fuck you and leave you but you just keep coming back for more.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
dubsupra209;1636911 said:
5k for a rebuild..? unless your goinfoed spent 3800 on my car since i bought it for 400...i did all arps 57trim titan mhg 1k in machine work kyb shocks with st springs apexi muffler megan (half ass downpipe) with 3in all the way back fluidlyne radiator...i did all that for under 4k so no it should not cost you 5k just to get it running...i could of spent less to get mine running but i wanted something i could work with to get more power evenutally

$5,000 was just an example, I was trying to prove a point of saying I don't want to buy a motor for X thousands, then spend X thousands just to get it moving.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I bought a "40k JDM" 7MGTE from an outfit in Boise. Here's the quick and dirty of how that went.

1st Engine Received = Had been run low on oil and had a destroyed head, cams, cam journals, etc... I sent it back.

2nd Engine Received = Had a BHG on #6 and destroyed rod bearings on that cylinder. The water jackets on that block were so badly eroded that a MHG would've never sealed. I sent it back.

3rd Engine Received = Normal high mileage motor. Nothing that I would EVER install and beat on. It is currently being rebuilt.

All three engines came from the same outfit. They were easy to work with on the first engine. They started giving me grief when I called to arrange for engine #2 to go back.

After what I've experienced, I would not drop ANY "JDM" engine in without completely inspecting it. Others have been successful with just dropping them in; but, you're rolling the dice...