Opinons On Possibly Bad Coil Pack or Ignitor??

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
So, I think my 7M coil pack is starting to go...well, either that or my Ignitor. Just recently only on cold starts, it fires up with a miss that clears up in a matter of seconds, and never returns until the next cold start. Then one morning this week it just cranked and cranked, as if it had no spark at all. I opened the hood, and literally hit the coil pack, and then the ignitor with my fist a few times, went to start it, and it turned over right away, still with that miss, that just goes away. Before this I figured my plugs might be getting funky (NGK Platinums), but now I'm not so sure. Has anyone had to replace a bad ignitor or 7M coil pack? I'm contemplating doing Tookwik's swap if it turns out to be a bad coil pack.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Checking the CPS wiring isn't a bad idea. Because of the high heat in the area around the connectors, the wires tend to get brittle and break. I had to replace both the harness and sensor side wires/connectors. When I went to do the "wiggle test" they literally fell apart in my hand.

Beyond that maybe pull the plugs and check their condition. Make sure it's not getting oil or coolant seeping in and sitting in the cylinders due to bad valve stem seals or the start of a head gasket going (that could easily cause a slight miss for a few seconds only when cold starting) and the plugs are in good condition. Here's a useful link for reading plug condition:

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

If you're having issues after checking all those I'd check your plug wires and then finally move to the coils/igniter. I just personally find it easiest to work backwards from the plugs than starting at the igniter and working forwards, more problems tend to occur in plugs/wires than coil packs and igniter.

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
Update: This morning was the coldest yet this week, so I really expected this problem to show up. Naturally, the car starts right up, perfectly normal with no miss. After sitting for about 4 hours in the lot at work, I go to start it and bingo! Crank crank crank, no start. So I open the hood and repeat my banging routine on the ignitor and coil pack. I also wiggle the CPS connector. Go back and crank it and she starts up pretty quick, but with the miss again, that then quickly went away. The weather here was terrible today. Hopefully if its not raining tomorrow ill be able to at least pull a plug or two, and possibly test the coil pack and ignitor according to TSRM guidelines. I do have a bad feeling after reading both of your comments that it very well could be something with the CPS, event though my connector appears to be okay. I'll definitely look into it though. I appreciate your help a lot guys.

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
radiod;1808244 said:
Checking the CPS wiring isn't a bad idea. Because of the high heat in the area around the connectors, the wires tend to get brittle and break. I had to replace both the harness and sensor side wires/connectors. When I went to do the "wiggle test" they literally fell apart in my hand.

Make sure it's not getting oil or coolant seeping in and sitting in the cylinders due to bad valve stem seals or the start of a head gasket going (that could easily cause a slight miss for a few seconds only when cold starting)

I assume you got a new harness & connectors from Toyota? And you have no issues after replacing them? Hmmm. Definitely something to keep in mind.

When I got the car it would smoke on start up (valve stem seals) but since I had the head & hg done thats not been a problem. Also recently did a block test to confirm the hg was still good, and it was. Thermostat was bad tho :). The spark plug galley also shows no signs of oil seepage.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I got the connectors + pigtails from driftmotion. Don't forget to order the pins if you get them that way. I don't know what kind of condition yours are in, but when the engine was running if I wiggled my CPS connector I could get the engine to cut.

MikesFixedRoof

Mar 23, 2009
Queens, NY
radiod;1808891 said:
I got the connectors + pigtails from driftmotion. Don't forget to order the pins if you get them that way. I don't know what kind of condition yours are in, but when the engine was running if I wiggled my CPS connector I could get the engine to cut.

Wow... and new connectors + pigtails fixed it huh? Did you get the pins from Driftmotion too or Toyota? I was actually looking for a replacement pin for the blue aux fan switch on the T-stat housing last week and had no luck. Not even on the TSRM. Is there a sticky for electrical connectors/ pins part #'s ?