Opinions: metallic vs ceramic core catalytic converters

bosco659

Toyota nut
Oct 11, 2005
Canada
Anyone have some facts about the efficiency of a metallic core vs cermaic core catayltic converter? I am looking for the cleaning efficiency (for emissions) of the two substrates and not the flow capability.

Thanks

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Hmmm... Search. I think it was here that there was a very detailed thread about cat. converters, and which ones did what the best. Thought I bookmarked it, but guess not...

Edit: Actually, I think it was over on SF

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
willfish said:
just run a straight pipe like i do ...

Will
And pollute mother earth? Umm, No. Besides, Vic likes to be a good samaratin, and all of us roll that way in T.O ;)
Anyway Vic, the difference is basically Metallic is more efficient. I wish i could tell you about the science behind it but i know stainless is the way to go now. Audi uses it, Porsche, new Toyota's as well.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
willfish said:
just run a straight pipe like i do ...

No shit! I would not waste one dollar or second messing with some crappy mandated smog junk that I could replace cheaper and better with something as simple as a testpipe.

The only time I think about my cat is every two years when I put it back on for my smog test (along with a bunch of other mandated crap).

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
What IJ said. All things equal ceramic is better but it has little to do with efficiency. That's dependent on the quality of the wash coat, surface area, and how close the mixture is to stoich. A ceramic substrate is also better from a corrosion standpoint should the wash coat become damaged.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
When you consider the byproducts and energy expended when manufacturing a cat, and then whats left over after it becomes useless and has to be recycled or landfilled, one can't help but wonder how environmentally friendly they really are.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I've heard the exact opposite and had ceramic ones melt on me...

not to mention the physical durability of the ceramic ones being fragile...