opinion on polished parts

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
i got bored today and thought i would take up the wonderful (sarcasm) hobby of polishing things. i started out on my the timing gear and coolant thingie (not sure what the actual name of it is) and it turned out pretty good, but the gear was not as easy, and still needs alot of work.

the water thing:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

(i only spent about 15 minutes on the coolant piece grit disk, then 1,5 compound)

sm_photo_missing.jpg

i spent about an hour on the gear, but i just can't seem to get it any smoother. that is with using the grit disks and polishing wheel going from a 1,3,5 compound. my question is, does it look good, and i thought the gears were made out of aluminum, if not can they be polished more without spending 20 hours on them, or does the one that is complete look good as is?

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
The gears are aluminum and they are also zinc plated so you just removed that.

They were zinc plated because the upper timing cover (behind the gears) they rest on is steel. Galvanic corrosion can occour when steel and aluminum come in contact with each other, hence why the aluminum is usually plated (the yellow finish).

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
blackout_89t;883037 said:
The gears are aluminum and they are also zinc plated so you just removed that.

They were zinc plated because the upper timing cover (behind the gears) they rest on is steel. Galvanic corrosion can occour when steel and aluminum come in contact with each other, hence why the aluminum is usually plated (the yellow finish).

only polished the front, not the back, except for one spot on the first one. what kind of issues would that cause?

Reaper Man

I'm the responsible one
Jun 10, 2007
MA
:lol:

I'm not a huge fan of polishing, but as the saying goes- whatever floats your boat

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
You left out the most important part of the thermostat housing. If the neck(where the hose goes on) isn't smooth, it has a possibility of leaking. At least knock the corrosion off, and clean off any surface rust. Wire wheel will be fine, no need for the high polish there. Just don't remove the lip, it's kinda important.

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
IJ.;883088 said:
Aluminium? WTF

They're sintered steel/iron ;)

Polished = Gay as a very Gay thing though!

SI: I'll mail order some bumless Chaps so you can go clubbing :D

steel/iron... that makes more sense, man those were hard to do anything with, the housing was easy as pie.

i'll take you up on the chaps, just make sure you send the tag with them so i can resell them on ebay :biglaugh:

selfinfliction

Dec 11, 2007
ky
cuel;883098 said:
You left out the most important part of the thermostat housing. If the neck(where the hose goes on) isn't smooth, it has a possibility of leaking. At least knock the corrosion off, and clean off any surface rust. Wire wheel will be fine, no need for the high polish there. Just don't remove the lip, it's kinda important.

will do, thanks for the info

the t3d

P B4 A
Sep 30, 2006
Titusville, FL
IJ.;883088 said:
Aluminium? WTF

haha don't worry. whatever IJ is jealous of, he just calls it GAY! :biglaugh:

-t3d

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
IJ.;883088 said:
Aluminium? WTF

Oh my bad.
I haven't held stock cam gears in a few years, I was just judging by the picture and how it is yellow and assumed it was zinc plating.