only 200hp... sigh what else can i do?

A70HIRO

Feb 1, 2006
Fremont, Ca.
well i got my car dyno'd and i'm a little shy of 200hp. i was expecting more so when i saw that i was pretty bummed.

MODS:
HKS Super Mega Flow Intake
HKS SSQV Blow off Valve
*Shimmed Wastegate (2 washers 8mm on each bolt)
Titan Motorsports Downpipe
Blitz Nur Spec R Catback Exhaust
*New MAF (OEM)
*New Turbo Inlet Pipe

i thought i'd be seeing a little more than 200 with those. i talked to a few other MK3 owners and they said when they had just those parts they were making about 250. anyone have an idea as to why i'm not seeing that? how can i tell if i'm running too rich? or if i have a "clogged" Cat? if i get a test pipe and a FPR, would i see 250?

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I was gonna say something is wrong if you barely made 200 with those mods. The cat might be clogged, but I doubt thats your only problem.

diy guy

Jan 25, 2006
dallas
what was the tq reading? what kind of dyno was it? didnt they offer afr readings? can you post the dyno

theres gotta be something wrong if youre only making 200hp. have you checked for boost leaks? do you have a boost gauge, whats it reading?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have basically the exact same mods as you, and I'm getting 252 rwhp. The only thing that you've got that I dont is a catalytic converter. I dont think that could be blocking that much air though. I have the same HKS megaflo, I have a downpipe that I bought from Horsepower freaks, I have 3" exhaust from the downpipe back, I also have a safcii but shouldnt give me anymore horses.. I have a new turbo, but havent had it dynod yet with it. My last dyno was with stock turbo. good luck with your car...lol.

diy guy

Jan 25, 2006
dallas
cnewingham said:
no tuning should be needed at that mod level
:aigo:

i just saw a supra dyno (stock ecu, afm screw pulled out for a little more unmetered air, intake, exhaust, stock dp, 11psi). a/f was off the chart's 10:1 after 4.5k rpm. I suspect it went down to at least 9:1 and thats with the screw backed out. as a matter of fact, heres the dyno:

p136983_1.jpg

you dont think that could use some tuning? any stock car can benefit from tuning, but especially a boosted one.

(blue line was a lexus afm with stock injectors....yeah i know...NOT my car)

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
when was the last time you did a compression test? or checked your timing? stock 7m-gte's make 220hp. somethings wrong here.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
diy guy said:

i just saw a supra dyno (stock ecu, afm screw pulled out for a little more unmetered air, intake, exhaust, stock dp, 11psi). a/f was off the chart's 10:1 after 4.5k rpm. I suspect it went down to at least 9:1 and thats with the screw backed out. as a matter of fact, heres the dyno:

p137013_1.jpg

you dont think that could use some tuning? any stock car can benefit from tuning, but especially a boosted one.

that doesn't look like a stock ct26 dyno to me...

what boost are you running?

diy guy

Jan 25, 2006
dallas
no youre right its not, he said it was a modified t3 @ 10-12psi. airflow is airflow though right? shouldnt make a difference

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
ya, can't be a ct dyno
it pulls too hard to redline.

At that power and psi, a stock ct would match that easily, just wouldn't pull to redline like that t3.
I would have personally just went t4.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
diy guy said:
no youre right its not, he said it was a modified t3 @ 10-12psi. airflow is airflow though right? shouldnt make a difference

woah, that's WAY off, sir! a larger turbo will flow MORE air at 10psi than a smaller turbo (ie, our stockers). think of it this way. blow through one of those tiny coffee straws as hard as you can, then do the same through a mcdonalds straw. see how much difference there is? that's a VERY watered down version of the difference in turbos.

a T78 will flow CRAPLOADS more air and make CRAPLOADS more power at 10psi than a stock ct26 will. (just another example)

-shaeff

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
diy guy said:

p137554_1.jpg

yea thats my bros car. the red line is stock afm and the blue line is just replacing it with a lex. his mods are catback, intake, lower ic pipe and a random bolton turbo ;) this dyno if for all you people who think you can run the lex w/o the 550s and be safe...look at the blue line!!!!!!

edit: i did the numbers in my sig with your mods.if you cat is badly clogged (which it probibly is depending on how old it is and how long youve been running the ssqv to the atmo then theres 10+ hp hidden in there. as for the lex dyno we kept a very close eye on timing and detonation (never did) was just a test to get around f/c and see how much it leaned things out as no one has dyno sheets for just swapping off a lex with a stock afm and recorded the difference....

diy guy... who are you and howd u get a copy of that dyno? :lol:

Last edited:
C

cnewingham

my point was that his car has something wrong that needs to be addressed before trying to blame it on tuning. Yes I am very aware of what tuning can accomplish in a stock car but it still doesnt hide the fact that he needs to find the problem and fix it instead of wasting more money on mods or tuning. I got 307.2rwhp out of a stock ct (13psi) and stock fuel setup with basic mods(ie spearco ic, hardpipes, full 3" turbo back, safcII)

diy guy

Jan 25, 2006
dallas
shaeff said:
woah, that's WAY off, sir! a larger turbo will flow MORE air at 10psi than a smaller turbo (ie, our stockers). think of it this way. blow through one of those tiny coffee straws as hard as you can, then do the same through a mcdonalds straw. see how much difference there is? that's a VERY watered down version of the difference in turbos.

a T78 will flow CRAPLOADS more air and make CRAPLOADS more power at 10psi than a stock ct26 will. (just another example)

-shaeff
take note of my terminology. i said airflow is airflow, not boost is boost or psi is psi. 30lb/min of airflow, whether from a t28 or a t88 is still 30lb/min of airflow and our ecu, which reads airflow, not pressure, as load, will add the same amount of fuel in both instances. now, this could happen at 20psi on the small turbo and only 5psi on the larger one, but my point stands. the only reason i mentioned it was to point out that the afr would have been the same on the stock turbo vs the t3 though the curves may have been shifted a bit

MKIIINA, im the guy in your back seat :p

j/k, im on DI