One really BAD day! And a lesson learned

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
So i drove down to phoenix today (100 mile trip) to look at a car that would be a perfect canidate for a part out. I met the guy and looked at the car and it was just what i was looking for. Rebuilt 7M with cometic head gasket and ARP studs, Rebuilt CT26, Rebuilt R154, One peice steel drive shaft. and a nasty interior and paint. They guy had it timed wrong (it was backfiring) and didnt want to fix it. 1000 bucks perfect. So i rented a tow dolly (mistake of the day) and asked my brother in law to tow it back to prescott for me. So i get a call from him about a hour later telling me that a whole bunch of parts came flying out. So here is my theory. The transmission oil drain plug was missing, So i think it came out let all the fluid out of the transmission. The transmission locked up and broke the transmission free from the block severd the input shaft, broke the block, twisted the drive shaft in half, broke the slave cylinder, put large gashes in the bottem of the car, Bent the output shaft, and basicly shatter the whole transmission case. Anyways you can imagin how this is extreamly unpleasent..lol
I just had to tell someone about my unfortune

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
DontRevMe;1381712 said:
When you dolly a rwd car, you need to remove the drive shaft....

Why, what happens? Serious question, because the towyard did this to my 91 supra when I asked for the car back, but without removing anything. Infact, they left it in drive when they towed it. Anything broken that I can no longer include in the future part out?

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
Not removing the driveshaft is ok for short distances, but for longer distances you need to remove it. What happened in your situation is a prime example as to why, but among that, it keeps your odometer from racking up miles you're not actually driving the car and keeps the wear and tear off of your drivetrain.

stile

Jul 3, 2009
lynchburg va
KicknAsphlt;1381766 said:
Not removing the driveshaft is ok for short distances, but for longer distances you need to remove it. What happened in your situation is a prime example as to why, but among that, it keeps your odometer from racking up miles you're not actually driving the car and keeps the wear and tear off of your drivetrain.

yea i agree thats what my boss keeps telling me when i have to two bmws back to the shop lol

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
I had a custmer call me said he towed his ford explorer behind motorhome and forgot to take out of gear went about 6 miles and saw smoke.. he towed over to house.. i started to pull #1 plug.. was gona do compression test.. as im unscrewing it im looking at engine and well it looks weird.. then i look harder and its lookin even weirder.. it sucked the intake literly inside the motor lol the whole top of intake was like 4 inches lower then from were it was supose to be.. :} ofcourse motor was trashed .. plastic parts everywere all the way threw and out exahust... wish i had taken pics :{

mdr40z

Mar 31, 2005
arkansas
DontRevMe;1381712 said:
When you dolly a rwd car, you need to remove the drive shaft....

no, not with a manual trans, in an auto though the torque converter isn't running so no fluid pressure builds.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
The counter shaft in a manual transmission is what splashes the lube over the whole inside of the transmission and gears and bearings, and guess what isnt spinning when you rotate the output shaft without the input shaft rotating

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Dmn bro, that sux super big balls. sounds like there was a lot of damage done to the car, hopefully its not as bad as the way you described it cuzz thats gonna be a lot of work.

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
Here's two pics...what's left of the tranny and also the shifter (and another part of the tranny.) After looking under the car i realized it was not a one piece drive shaft like the guys said it was. And, i realized that the tranny is not seized, i can still turn it by hand. So, my new theory is that the driveshaft disconnected, somehow, and the force of hitting the highway at 75 mph bent the output shaft and shattered the transmission. I think that if the tranny had seized it would have locked up the rear tires rather than twisting the driveshaft in half.

Attachments

• IMG_0130 copy.jpg
    IMG_0130 copy.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0131 copy.jpg
    IMG_0131 copy.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 100

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Damn dude im gonna have a mint 88 parts car (in my sig) probably by next week if you need anything or even the whole shell let me know.