On the market for a new airfilter. Need some advice.

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
Howdy everyone,

I'm on the slow, costly road of upgrading my Supra. I think I may start with a new air filter, as mine is still OEM and who-knows-how-old.

I was leaning towards the K&N at first, but I did a quick search on this forum (gasp) and found out it was rubbish. Now I'm looking at getting the Apexi. http://www.suprastore.com/apsuinkitsum.html

I have an '89 Turbo.

How easy is this to install? I'm a complete noob when it comes to upgrading. Would I have to do any mods, or need any other parts for it to fit properly?

Is there really any benefit to upgrading the airfilter from stock? Would I need to remove the airbox?

Thanks for your time,
Suitcase

Jay C

Sep 30, 2010
Omaha, NE
That is a decent intake. It won in the shootout a while ago from what I read for most hp and also best filtration I haven’t used it but that is the one I am going to get so I did some research on it. I have installed after market intakes like that one on other vehicles and you do replace the restrictive airbox as that is where the gains come from. I believe the article I read stated that it increased horsepower by like 13 but every vehicle is different. It shouldn’t take you long at all with just some basic hand tools. Good luck and let me know what ya think.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Apexi or aem dryflow. Stay away from k&n as they suck for both Afm and some map and filter like crap. Hype aint everything.

Apexi has the best stats and same with aem.

Piece if cake to install.
With that I got a apexi and love it. Still looks brand new on the inside and it's years old now.

giterboosted

cure for the common rice
Nov 3, 2007
toccoa ga
Well currently running a k&n because it was bought for me brand new not lon ago, but I also jut purchased an hks super mushroom filter, out of these two any opinions? The mushroom has a velocity stack but the k&n probably filters more

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Both suck but the k&n prolly filters a tiny bit better but both are on the bottom with filtration. If the k&n is oiled i would put the hks on.

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
Not me. I've seen pics of an HKS that broke apart, and then got sucked through the turbo.

I'd sell both of those filters to a ricer, and use the money to buy an Apexi or AEM DryFlow.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I had a K&N that was on the car from the previous owner, and as soon as I found out about the oil + AFM = bad, I switched it out. I picked up the AEM Dryflo filter and honestly, it was roughly the same price as the equivelant K&N anyway. Do it right from the start ;)

19supra90

Noob.
Mar 11, 2008
Findlay
Apexi is highly recommended from what I've read and thats the route I'm going. Just waiting for it to come in the mail! LOL

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I have the K&N on my 88, no issues with it. You have to make sure you understand how to maintain anything correctly though or you can end up doing silly things.
I think Apexi would be good as well.

The only thing that makes me wonder is when I see the air filter exposed in the engine bay with no shield to help prevent it from sucking air from off of a very hot running engine. Not sure how much of an overall effect it would have on fuel economy/power, but would suspect it would negate any HP gains once the engine is running as hot as what my 7MGTE gets...

Also, it would be really cool if there was a stickied air filter recommendation area that outlines all the "proof". (did I miss it??) This is just a very common thing for any car owner to consider.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
There is a link to a site with the tests and results.

K&n oild filters, the oil goes through the filter and onto the afm and so does dirt and then the afm is ruined. They dont filter good either.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The K&N has been on for about 3 years.. no issues. You think if what you say about it coating the AFM with oil, that it would have been discontinued or a great outcry would be heard.. lol. I understand what the principal is, but I dont know of anyone who has "properly" maintained a K&N filter and then had AFM issues. It may be 100% true that they dont work due to that, but as I said.. I still havent had an issue myself. (just going by personal experience)

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
So, where does the airbox have it's snorkel located?

Does it take cold air from the wheel-wells, and if so would replacing the airbox with an exposed, aftermarket filter (Apexi) negate the gains by drawing warm air from the engine compartment?

Thanks for your time,
Suitcase

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
CyFi6;1634019 said:
If you arent in it for performance, just replace it with a stock filter.

This guy has it right. The car already has a cold air intake installed from the factory. If your performance goals are moderate, The stock system with a good, clean, standard replacement filter can flow enough of air to easily support up to 350 horsepower. Aw, but it don't look cool. I rather have clean, cool air going into mine. Don't believe all this marketing bullshit. Spend your hard earned money on maintenance so you can take a 50 mile trip without hauling half your tools, coolant, oil, tape, clamps with you. You will save gas too because of the lighter weight not hauling all this extra crap around with you. Higher performance vehicles, of course, YMMV.