Omg my engine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
We're not going to tell you the sky is pink to make you happy and we're not going to tell you your engine is fine when it is approaching its final moments of life.

You need to stop driving the car asap. Get a cheap beater, ride the bus, borrow a car, etc. When I had my BHG, I rode the bus everywhere. It took me 2.5 hours of bus and an hour of walking to get home to work on the car, but you know what? I knew I could do permanent damage by delaying the repair so I sucked it up and did the smart thing. It wasn't the easy route, but it was what needed to be done. ;) Owning a good running Supra takes dedication. If you dont have that then find another vehicle.

If your "mechanic" doesn't know that coolant in your oil WILL cause rod knock and that rod knock WILL eventually lead to a rod exiting the block at some point, maybe you should find a new mechanic...

It's simply a matter of time before that motor is complete trash and UN-REBUILD-ABLE.

We are telling you very clearly to repair it before you drive it again.

89nasupra

Sugar, Water, Purple
Apr 8, 2008
Lafayette, Louisiana, United States
listen to all these guys. they have all been where you are and learned through the proccess myself included. these cars are not to be half assed. you cut corners you will pay for them in the long run. do it right do it once. we're not trying to flame you, you asked a question and you got the correct answers. but hey if you mechanic says it's fine what the hell does a bunch of loyal supra owners on one of the most respected mkIII forum know...... right?

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
Think with your head not with your wallet. If you cant afford the Head gasket job, seeing as how you are still in school, STOP DRIVING THE CAR! Carpooling is cheaper anyway. Im going to break this down barney style for you because you dont seem to know what you are doing, when you get a head gasket for it get a metal one, and replace all the gaskets from the top down, and do not reuse the head bolts get new ones, new plugs, fully flush your radiator and oil sump so as not to contaminate new fluids. Do not cut corners or you may find yourself stuck halfway between home and school. Do not take the advice given to you by the people on here as a joke, they have been doing these repairs a lot longer than you think.

Athena

Rawr
Jun 22, 2009
Raleigh, NC
It's obvious he doesn't want your opinions, he has his "mechanics" diagnosis. He had his answer before he asked you all, he just got angry when you didn't answer with what he expected from you guys.

Christopher

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
Maybe it is overkill on the head bolts but you can purchase OEM bolts, both my father and grandfather (grandfather owned a repair shop in Manhattan for years, and father has been working on cars his whole life) advised me to never use the same head bolts twice because it weakens them tremendously and you never know if the previous owner pulled the head and reused the bolts so its better safe then sorry. Im not saying it cant be done but I am saying its probably a really good idea to go ahead and splurge on new hardware just to ensure that nothing will go wrong with hardware down the line.

Last edited:

hcorea

May 10, 2009
Kansas
www.cardomain.com
Where is all this animosity coming from, it's like you guys value this car like it's god; It's a car, but thanks for the advice and yes I'm going to listen to it, I'm gonna stop driving it while I try to find a daily driver so I can make this a project car; And my mechanic friend doesn't own a shop; he just builds up old cars so no he wouldn't make any money off of me.

The problem is that theres like no reliable mechanics; The one that worked on my car says he's charging me $500 for the fix not including the price of the headgasket. I don't want to leave it to him because he would probably torque it to factory specs which is wrong I hear its supposed to be 70ft/lb torque.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hcorea;1520178 said:
Where is all this animosity coming from, it's like you guys value this car like it's god; It's a car, but thanks for the advice and yes I'm going to listen to it, I'm gonna stop driving it while I try to find a daily driver so I can make this a project car; And my mechanic friend doesn't own a shop; he just builds up old cars so no he wouldn't make any money off of me.

The problem is that theres like no reliable mechanics; The one that worked on my car says he's charging me $500 for the fix not including the price of the headgasket. I don't want to leave it to him because he would probably torque it to factory specs which is wrong I hear its supposed to be 70ft/lb torque.

And on that note we're done here.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
hcorea;1520178 said:
it's like you guys value this car like it's god; It's a car

You're on Supra Mania what did you expect... LOL.

It's not a car, it's a Supra -- anything else is just transportation... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.