Okay, now it looks like my Engine has rodknock, Someone please help me!

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Well here's the ugly truth. I am a dumbass. I didn't put the spacers in so the flywheel is going crazy, I took the inspection cover off and the flywheel has wear marks on the teeth from going crazy. And it's so loose without the spacers that I can move it about an inch in a circle both ways. Hopefully there isint rodknock hiding underneath that noise. I'll know either today or tomorrow, it all depends on the weather.

kevinbonds

Dec 25, 2006
Florida
I have the same porblem with my flywheel. When I push in the clutch it goes away, put in neutral it rattles like crazy. I am gonna fix it one day just had a million other things to do. It is really annoying.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Bolts weren't loose, they were snug as hell, the reason the flywheel's loose is because somebody (me) forgot to put the spacers between the engine and flywheel and flywheel and clutch.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
My friends supra made a knocking noise, it kinda sounded like rod knock to me and the noise changed with the clutch pedal engaged and disengaged as well. We were puzzled for a while because it was loudest near the oil pan towards the transmission... but we were unable to track it down and didn't want to waste our time taking apart things.

Haha, funny thing is that my buddy kept drving the car like that until he burned the clutch. Brought his car to the shop and had them change the clutch. The rod knock like noise went away. :biglaugh:

arz

Arizona Performance
Nov 14, 2005
Mesa, AZ
www.ArizonaPerformance.com

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Okay, So it seems that the bolts were loose, All six came off with my fingers, and upon further investigation the spacers aren't on the R154... Why would the bolts be so loose? I torqued them to spec.. I'm gonna try the other set of flywheel bolts, maybe they didnt go in all the way because they were too long. Man this is hit and miss and I really don't like it.

And here's the link for the Spacers on A/T http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?Figure=3502&Page=1

antman

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
TN
This happened to a friend of mine shortly after he did his swap. I believe he put lock tight on them, but I think a new set of bolts would hold. gl

chefma70

Mar 19, 2008
Florida
mother fucking ditto!!!!!! u just told my supras life story 5 g deep in my build and driving strong for 5-6 months then rodknock...........

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Haha JJ.. Ended up not being four but two ;). I've still got the Supra too.. Its going back and forth with me from school behind my F-150 on a trailer... Toyota Technician Program... They love this car, lol. I ended up frying the piston rings, so it's getting a rebuild slowly. Also gonna be doing the body work on it there. Funny how life works eh?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It is funny how life works. Especially when you shape it. Unfortunately you're going to be laughing for a long time as it follows you around. And considering what could have happened it's a gross understatement to say you were extremely lucky.

But what's done is done. Good luck and I hope you learned a lesson about making choices. I know I did...

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
so from what i understand, you never had rod knock, it was just the spacers for the flywheel?

and now you are going to school to be a toyota technician? but drive a ford f150? humbug

Pokey2301

Mar 2, 2010
Spangdahlem, Germany
TRDownShift;1729213 said:
Yeah, wtf? You should be driving whats in pokeys avatar :p

you must be talking about the 71 El Camino in the background huh? jp

i dont have that truck anymore but miss it dearly! 94 4x4 V6 5sp 6 in of lift altogether on 35x15.50 MT Baja Claws! that truck would go anywhere!

but ill never own a toyota 4x4 with a v6 in it, they are garbage, only be 22re or 7m from now on

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
jetjock;1729000 said:
It is funny how life works. Especially when you shape it. Unfortunately you're going to be laughing for a long time as it follows you around. And considering what could have happened it's a gross understatement to say you were extremely lucky.

But what's done is done. Good luck and I hope you learned a lesson about making choices. I know I did...

Believe me sir, I know how my choices will follow me around and the truth was what saved me from what could have happened. I am very lucky to be so blessed. I worry not for myself but the person who went down with me, hes got a long road ahead of him... The thing I found to be most interesting is how people go off of misinformation to pass their own judgements. If you want to know the truth you should get it from someone who was directly invovled. People who have been through it truly understand, and I can't expect someone who's never experienced it to understand. I'm just so glad that I get another chance to live right.

And to everyone else, I drive an F-150 because I live on top of a mountian, and towing a 4000 lb car and trailer is not doable with a 3vze or a 22re uphill like that. I don't drive my truck anywhere but to school when towing the Supra and to the junkyard and other truck necessary things. I daily drive an '85 Celica GT-S Convertible 22R-EC W58 with an LSD out of an '85 Supra. 35 MPG in style ;).