Ok here is my dilema

racingtoyota007

Sep 16, 2006
Georgia
Ok my 88 Supra Turbo has a blown motor, Ok so basicly this is what i want to know. What would be better, i am on a budget by the way. Could i get a 7MGE long block and just put all the turbo stuff ad hook it up, or would i not be able to do this? Or would i have to get another 7MGTE Long block? if i could go with the 7MGE and just bolt everything up to it and run the stock 6.5psi would this get more power and same reliability as the 7MGTE? And which gets more power?

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
well.

Only difference is

One knock sensor

And

Oil Squirters in the block

so yea you could use the 7mge long block.

racingtoyota007

Sep 16, 2006
Georgia
Yes, but would the 7mge long block would it just be a plug in play preaty much? And would they both be putting about the same amount of power to the wheels?

this is about the same as the NA-T right just im cool and have everything i need lol.

racingtoyota007

Sep 16, 2006
Georgia
Well how do you guys go NA-T is that the same as what im talking about or is it different o_O Which would be a better option for me just getting a GTE block or GE block?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
if youre staying under 12 psi of boost, then your should be fine. above that i fear detonation.
edit. i personally would just get a gte block, take your head off your current motor, get your crank resized and balanced, as well as a complete rebuild. but thats just me.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
racingtoyota007 said:
IM poor and only have like 600-700 dollars max to do this :( but i dont want a n/a i would rather just not drive the supra at all lol.
well, for 600-700 i dont see why it cant be done. i have seen some good standard bore blocks go for 50 bucks everyonce in a while in the US, i would have picked one up but im in Canada. Im not sure what kidn of shop you have but mine can get it balanced and resized for about 250, + rod bearings and mains from re-named clevite 77's go for 120 ( i think?) frm driftmotion + new oil pump and thats about all youll need assuming your head is good. awew the hell with it, buy a gasket kit off ebay, put in new valve stem seals and you should be good. i got all the parts for my rebuild for about 400 bucks because i was just patient. Oh and dont forget ARP headstuds (i went used because they get more accurate torque readins because they have gone through the heating process)

-Maniac-

They call me Nate.
Aug 25, 2005
Birmingham, AL
When you say that you threw a rod, did you crack the block, or do you just need new internals??? Because it is much cheaper to replace parts than engines.

TobyCat

Jul 14, 2006
Vancouver BC
You can definately rebuild a motor to new-ish condition for 700. First I'd phone around your area and see how cheaply you can get a block bored and head done.

Block: cheap...find a local supra guy and see if they have one in their back yard :) 150 tops
eBay Gasket Set: 60$
Decent HG: 50 (for stock)
ARP hardware: 80-100
Bearings: 100
machine shop: 300

that's ~700. Of course, you have to do it all yourself for that price. Parooze the for sale section and wait for good deals to come up. Of course, if it's something I want don't buy it :p

GL

racingtoyota007

Sep 16, 2006
Georgia
OK so whats the deal with the 1g-gte people say its underpowerd? wtf, turbo's spool faster, revs higher, and its 210hp 203tq the 7mgte only has what 232hp? thats only 22 hp thats not much more? and its a lighter engine? wtf going on mate!!! Lol.

and yes i think the block is a no-go i will find out soon.

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
lol

the 1ggte

is a I6

2L Small turbo's

Nothing aftermarket, but a clutch. have to fab everything up, to find 1ggte stuff would be very difficult.

WAY to much work to zip around in a 1ggte, unless you find one already in a car for cheap.

a good race would be a 1ggte Vs 7mge lol