oil question

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
I got a question for all you supra and mechanical whizzes out there.
why is it that everyone is soooo teribly concerned with having high oil pressure in there 7m when oil flow is more important than pressure. I mean as long as the oil is flowing through the whole motor then the oil is oiling the motor. but yet if you block a couple of the paths in the oil it can raise the pressure but then your not getting oil flow. higher pressure but boom blown motor due to lack of flow. if I'm not making my question clear tell me and I'll try to clarify better.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Higher the RPM and Load the easier it is for the Oil wedge to be displaced from between the Crank and the Bearing, This gets worse as the motor wears so the Higher Oil pressure will help maintain the wedge.

You can scuff a bearing a few times with no real ill effect but eventually the crank will pickup some bearing material and the next time it happens it gets worse and so on then bingo Rod Knock.......

djordan97

Apr 14, 2006
Kennewick WA
so your saying that the oil pressure will make sure that the bearing and the crank for example don't touch to help keep wear and tear down? I'm not trying to dispute weather or not high pressure is good bad or indiferent just trying to understand the reasoning behind it