Oil Pump Question

Grant

Jul 23, 2006
Indiana
I have been looking around for about 3 hours now and I can not find it. Does any one here know what the flow rate in GPM on our GTE pumps are?

I am trying to calculate how much smaller I need to make the drive gear to increase my oil flow and oil pressure because I have noticed our oil pumps are just not up to par when it comes to lubricating our engines.

So once I know the flow rate I can calculate what diameter or drive gear I need to make, to make our pumps flow an acceptable amount.:naughty:

Grant

Jul 23, 2006
Indiana
IJ.;1015148 said:
You run the risk of cavitating the pump at redline.

Well I need to do some thing; I figured that since our pumps were not up to the level they should be that running it just a little faster would help. I am not talking about running it a lot faster.

I know we can shim the pump but that is just going to rise the relieve pressure. I have seen too many of the 7M's die because of lack of oil.

I was always told that you should have at least 10psi for every 1000 rpm you run. So we should be looking at 65psi at least.

Grant

Jul 23, 2006
Indiana
Rennat;1015411 said:
All i've seen after people shim the pump and rebuild the engine is that they break something else! It also depends on what oil you are going to run.

I plan on breaking the engine in on shell rotella T, diesel oil. Then after my first 5-10K miles switch over to synthetic oil.

What kind of oil pressure is everyone looking at with a shimed pump?

Grant

Jul 23, 2006
Indiana
BlackDevilSupra;1015429 said:
IIRC, Qwikstrike gets ~100psi on cold start and about 40 - 80psi on warm idle and cruise. PM qwikstrike for more info.

Ok, I sent a PM to qwikstrike.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Grant;1015403 said:
Well I need to do some thing; I figured that since our pumps were not up to the level they should be that running it just a little faster would help. I am not talking about running it a lot faster.

I know we can shim the pump but that is just going to rise the relieve pressure. I have seen too many of the 7M's die because of lack of oil.

I was always told that you should have at least 10psi for every 1000 rpm you run. So we should be looking at 65psi at least.

Shim the pump ~5mm and get rid of the stock filter head...it also has a cooler relief valve that functions at ~40 psi. Install a full flow, thermostat controlled cooler/remote filter head circuit.

Going with a thick oil to increase psi on stock bearing clearances is not a good idea IMO...the reduced flow (due to higher viscosity) through the bearings defeats the whole idea.

Grant

Jul 23, 2006
Indiana
jdub;1015498 said:
Shim the pump ~5mm and get rid of the stock filter head...it also has a cooler relief valve that functions at ~40 psi. Install a full flow, thermostat controlled cooler/remote filter head circuit.

Going with a thick oil to increase psi on stock bearing clearances is not a good idea IMO...the reduced flow (due to higher viscosity) through the bearings defeats the whole idea.

I am not running a thicker oil to increase pressure. I am running a 10-30 Rotella T. I am just running diesel oil for the anti-wear additives. Because modern oils have pulled out ZDDP and all kinds of anti-wear lubricants.

I do plan on running a remote filter head and cooler

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Ummm...not completely true. There has been a significant reduction in ZDDP, but the only real impact is in the old Chevy motors w/ flat tappet cams. Most oils I've seen have substituted soluble moly and the PAO or ester based synthetics require very little anti-wear additives to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, Rotella T is one of the best dino oils out there and does contain a health dose of ZDDP. It should serve you well ;)

Removing the stock filter head will gain you 10-20 psi at RPM's over 3000.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
40 psi Hot idle
100 psi above 3500 once the Cooler gets full flow.

Canton Remote adaptors
Trans Dapt T Stat
3 Qt Moroso Accumulator
8 Qt Group A Magnesium pan
B&M 11x8" Header cooler
Moroso thick case filter
-10 lines and fittings

My Oil system is bullet proof and doesn't kill engines.

Grant

Jul 23, 2006
Indiana
IJ.;1015673 said:
40 psi Hot idle
100 psi above 3500 once the Cooler gets full flow.

Canton Remote adaptors
Trans Dapt T Stat
3 Qt Moroso Accumulator
8 Qt Group A Magnesium pan
B&M 11x8" Header cooler
Moroso thick case filter
-10 lines and fittings

My Oil system is bullet proof and doesn't kill engines.

Now thats a system that I could live with.
How much money are we talking about though?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Grant: How much is your motor worth to you? ;)

I don't have a total on the parts but everything is readily available.

You can save a few $$$ buying permacool/transdapt parts and they work fine but aren't "servicable" ie: the tend to break if you have to unbolt them.

Grant

Jul 23, 2006
Indiana
IJ.;1015695 said:
Grant: How much is your motor worth to you? ;)

I don't have a total on the parts but everything is readily available.

You can save a few $$$ buying permacool/transdapt parts and they work fine but aren't "servicable" ie: the tend to break if you have to unbolt them.

I know, I should know better being an engineering student an all...
Well if every thing goes togather good and it all works and fires, I hope to never need to be taking it on and off..

what breaks when you unbolt it?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
They look to be cast from Zamak and it's NOT the strongest material they could have chosen.

Also seen them split the fitting bosses when people have tried to tighten the tapered pipe threads.

Grant

Jul 23, 2006
Indiana
well their is the first problem, you should never cast a piece that is going to be threaded. Or even be an adapter that has to hold pressure.