Oil pump drive gear

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Anybody had this happen before???

The gear seems to have shattered. Nothing else looks to be damaged, and can't see anything else in the case that could have wedged into the gear to make it let loose like this.

Any ideas??

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg
p1211375_1.jpg
p1211375_2.jpg

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
I think you found that ticking noise. Was the wobble issue ever addressed? I think this
failure is related, from previous post. muzy

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
holy shit! it was wobbling before this happened? does the pump spin freely with a socket on the pulley bolt?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Muzy;1211423 said:
I think you found that ticking noise. Was the wobble issue ever addressed? I think this
failure is related, from previous post. muzy
Don't know what you're talkin about Muzy, never had a wobble or ticking noise, in fact nothing warning at all just stopped.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
grimreaper;1211438 said:
holy shit! it was wobbling before this happened? does the pump spin freely with a socket on the pulley bolt?
Good question, I checked that first and it's spins freely, I can turn it by hand. I think I'm going to put a drill on it and make sure I have oil pressure though.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Sort of common failure AJ!

If you mark any of the spokes during assembly it will fail as the pully is "sintered"

For those that don't know what that means they take Metal powder and compress it into a mold of the part add heat and LOTS of pressure and out pops a 99% finished part. (The infamous r154 thrust washers are made the same way)

During assembly/disassembly people often wedge the pully with a screwdriver so they can torque up the bolt and this in turn marks the spoke creating a stress riser (think lines on toilet paper)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
grimreaper;1211454 said:
what is the correct way to prevent the pulley from moving to tq it? i am guilty of this too!
I use the wood handle of my wire brush ;)

An oil filter wrench on the diameter would work if you can't fine a stick.

90T04;1211459 said:
Mine did that exact same thing. No pump failure or driveshaft problems, just replaced the pulley and was good to go.

Again normal as the engine usually stops when the timing belt falls off the cam pullies :D

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
IJ.;1211453 said:
Sort of common failure AJ!

If you mark any of the spokes during assembly it will fail as the pully is "sintered"

For those that don't know what that means they take Metal powder and compress it into a mold of the part add heat and LOTS of pressure and out pops a 99% finished part. (The infamous r154 thrust washers are made the same way)

During assembly/disassembly people often wedge the pully with a screwdriver so they can torque up the bolt and this in turn marks the spoke creating a stress riser (think lines on toilet paper)

Common failure. My wife was driving it and she thinks the car is posessed and hates her :)

I could have used that method of torqueing the bolt, I don't really remember.

I will try a strap wrench this time.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
IJ.;1211470 said:
Tell her she can come drive my Fat Car it seems to like women ;)
Will do IJ.

She drives very conservative, that's why she can't understand why it broke on her, hince the posessed reason :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
LOL many years ago I had a Monaro that WAS possessed!
(electrical gremlins with the power windows and wipers and the occasional total loss of electricity)

Lent it to my Sister when she was between cars and it NEVER did anything weird in the entoire time she had it!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Retightening is easy, I just put the belt on and then stop the crank pulley from moving (toothed belt makes it uber easy).

I have seen the special pulley holding tool in parts stores before, but it's kinda expensive for something so simple.

I've heard of these pulleys failing at high RPM as well...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Poodles;1211492 said:
Retightening is easy, I just put the belt on and then stop the crank pulley from moving (toothed belt makes it uber easy).

I have seen the special pulley holding tool in parts stores before, but it's kinda expensive for something so simple.

I've heard of these pulleys failing at high RPM as well...

I drive it a a high RPM but she doesn't see more than 3 k.

Good idea about the belt, just have to remember to torque it :)

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
AJ'S 88NA;1211448 said:
Don't know what you're talkin about Muzy, never had a wobble or ticking noise, in fact nothing warning at all just stopped.

Opps, my sincerest apologies, that was a different person and a different prob. I will double check next time. No hard feelings I hope. Sorry. muzy:icon_bigg

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Muzy;1211536 said:
Opps, my sincerest apologies, that was a different person and a different prob. I will double check next time. No hard feelings I hope. Sorry. muzy:icon_bigg
Nah...I figured that was it. :)

My wife has renamed my Supra....Christine:biglaugh:

She says it only plays oldies on the radio now... I don't think it even has any speakers in it, the back one's are out and the fronts I thought were blown.:)