oil pressure woes

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
More pressure from a stronger pump and more pressure due to higher viscosity fluid are two COMPLETELY different things.

The benefits you are thinking of by having a high pressure system WILL NEVER be realized by simply running a high visc oil. That is not raising your system pressure as a whole. I can type plenty more later...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
I appreciate all of you putting up with my oil pressure questions. My son has now run the car about 75 miles and pressure is remaining constant reading about 20 psi on the stock gauge at slow cruising rpm (unknown due to na to turbo swap so stock tach doesn't work yet) about 45 mph in 5th gear, 4.30 rear. Speedo is also off about 20 mph due to using JDM R 154 trans and haven't changed the speedo gear yet, lol. I know its stupid to have both no tach and the speedo way off, but need just a little more time. Anyway, engine sounds good and finally getting some use from this long, painful and expensive build. thanks again for all the help.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
hvyman;1720741 said:
Why would anyone complain about the low oil pressure number? There motor wasnt knocking and ran great. You dont get rod knock for no reason on these motors, its from getting a bhg and letting water ruin bearings.

Biggest cause of RK is simply running low+ poor oil control in the 7M pan.

rustfarmer

Jul 20, 2009
Centerville, TN
I did replace the squirters and as for the tach, will just running a wire from the tach feed from the diagnostic plug to the na tach allow normal operation or must I change the resistors as described elsewhere? Also, scrounged a speedo drive from a W-58 and thought I would see if it fits and has closer ratio.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Resister change is in the tach. You simply desolder one and solder another in.

Try searching Google for 4cefed.com. that has the details and resistance values.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Heavier oil is only beneficial is you have bearings that are SCREWED or if you had the engine completely rebuilt professionally and they specd it for heavier oil. Use 0-30 or 5-30, maybe 10-30 unless your motor is already fucked or you have a specially made, custom race engine built for heavy oil.

If you have to ask, you should be running regular spec oil. 10-30 at heaviest.