Oil Pressure Too High?

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
Ok, so maybe this is a stupid question, but is it possible to have an oil pressure that is Too High?

I shimmed my Oil Pump and make about 12-14psi at idle and above 75-80 when reving above 3500 RPM.

I know this because I have blown 3 mechanical Oil Press gauges.

The only reason I bring this up is because now that we are getting into the -4C (24.8 F) to -12C (10.4F) at night I have been having a recurring Issue with my dual remote oil filter setup.

On the first occasion both filters backed of enough for the O-Ring to slip out of its grove on one side thus leaking a good amount of oil.

I stopped Immediately, Tightened the Filters, topped off my oil and headed to the nearest auto part shop and bought new filters and oil. I did an oil change on my truck and new filters and carried on my way, everything was fine.

Next time I parked my truck over night that it went below -4C and started it up, same thing on just one filter.

Any Ideas?

Here are the stats

7MGTE:
Forged Pistons
Turned Crank
-8AN oil lines to Dual filters (PH8) then returning to block (I took out the Temp controlled Oil Cooler to help trouble shoot)
-Shimmed OEM oil pump
-Motor never sees 6500rpm or above
-5W20 Castrol Oil running 5.5L (my dual Filters are Huge filters)
-Valve covers sealed down with RTV and stock valve cover screws replaced with allan headed bolts.
-Stock Turbo running stock boost
-Lex AFM and 550's

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Doesn't sound like a gauge issue unfortunately..how much did you shim your pump? Usually a sign of too high of oil pressure is the oil filter o-ring coming off...if your oil pressure is that high you risk blowing out your seals and other bad things. That's a tough one man...I'm not an oil expert, but wondering if you could get away with running a thicker weight oil to even out pressure.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
What is your oil pressure when the engine is warm? What is the oil pressure when the engine is cold? You might need to run a thinner oil or a more cold weather friendly oil.

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
7M4EVR;1972713 said:
wondering if you could get away with running a thicker weight oil to even out pressure.

^^pshh this guy...meant to say thinner. It was early in the morning....

Also when u had the oil cooler in is there a noticeable difference?

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
hvyman;1972759 said:
Only needed to shim about 5mm of washers.

OH... Oh dear... i mis read the "How to cure the 7M oiling issues thread. I will remedy this next time I drop my pan. Will do next oil pan.

80083r;1972742 said:
For Thunder Bay? Isn't it like -30C up there in July? :)

Probably not, but I wouldn't take that to the bank.

LOL Well I Live in timmins now and we get a solid week of minus 30 here LOL. My Inuit GF Is from a town where they hit -50C!

7M4EVR;1972733 said:
^^pshh this guy...meant to say thinner. It was early in the morning....

Also when u had the oil cooler in is there a noticeable difference?

So would 0W20 be too thin? Also i didnt notice a big diff to pressure with the cooler.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
7M4EVR;1972713 said:
Doesn't sound like a gauge issue unfortunately..how much did you shim your pump? Usually a sign of too high of oil pressure is the oil filter o-ring coming off...if your oil pressure is that high you risk blowing out your seals and other bad things. That's a tough one man...I'm not an oil expert, but wondering if you could get away with running a thicker weight oil to even out pressure.
Just which seals would that be??

kaiser;1972734 said:
Would 0w20 be too thin?

I Shimmed the oil pump with 12mm worth of washers.
Effectively making the Pressure relief solid.... :nono:

Guessing worn pump and bearings or you'd have either popped the o-ring or burst the filter by now..

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Turbo seals... but now comes the time where you tell me that's not possible and not to post in technical and then I go put my tail between my legs...

Seriously though I had a buddy that blew his seals in short order and swears it was from too high of oil pressure to the turbo, and it always made perfect sense and seemed plausible to me.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
7M4EVR;1972838 said:
Turbo seals... but now comes the time where you tell me that's not possible and not to post in technical and then I go put my tail between my legs...

Seriously though I had a buddy that blew his seals in short order and swears it was from too high of oil pressure to the turbo, and it always made perfect sense and seemed plausible to me.

Do tell me young Jedi of these magical turbo "seals."

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
7M4EVR;1972838 said:

lol off ya go tuck that tail... ;)

kaiser

Jul 22, 2010
Thunder Bay
So can we also get a consensus on what oil weight is preferable for Canadian cold climate? We get a solid week of -30C

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
kaiser;1973446 said:
So can we also get a consensus on what oil weight is preferable for Canadian cold climate? We get a solid week of -30C

On start up I used to have the same problem so I used Dual K&N filters, until I.J pointed me to the Moroso filters. I use Mobile 1 15w50 with Moroso, or K&N filters and no more issues for me. The filters that come on the market boast 300psi burst rate but all but those two failed. Mobile 1, and Bosch were close but always gave up when it was cold here in NY. MY oil pressure hits 140psi when its cold since 2001 still going strong too! I would not use dino oil in the winter I had Mobile 1 1550 and a quart of 1040 in my garage one winter and the Mobile 1 15w5 poured like water and the 1040 was like honey.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?693936-emericaskater285-s-MKIII-build-of-DOOM!/page4