Oil Pans?

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Sorry guys if this seems like a trivial question. I am trying to build motor mounts for the 2JZ Maverick project and the oil pan that I have is a front sump. From all of the searching that I've done, it must be an Aristo TT engine. I need a center sump from a Supra. My question is, does the 1JZ-GTE also use the same oil pan as the 2JZ?

Thanks,
Lance

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
Yup. but if your swithing pans out I believe you have to change the oil pickup and possible the pump not sure on that though.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
they are mid/rear sump. they have mid mid sumps but im still not sure what cars they come out of even though the rear/mid should work fine anyway. sc300's pan should work fine or a 1jz's from a supra or buying new ones from toyota and you will need a new baffle and oil pickup.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
Rajunz;968234 said:
But, don't the turbo pans have oil return ports on them? If so, an SC300 pan would need to be modded.

there is already a place where the oil return goes on the 2jzge you just need to finish the hole and tap where the studs go in (they already have the holes drilled for the studs/bolts you just need to thread it) easy stuff in other words, i just did it with a cheap tap and die set and a drill/grinder on an sc300 pan.

just look at a sc300 pan and it will make plenty of sense.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
yea its stamped for the oil return. Just tap the 2 bolts and then drill out the return part. Or you can just tap the hole to the pan for a 1/2" NPT and put the fitting straight into that. (rather then buying a flange to bolt to it)

mytbo87

Nov 16, 2007
Utah
so basically all the jz engines( 1jz 2jz) have the same oil pan. this is real good info. what would you rocomend for gasket? (fipg)

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
wrong.... they all have the same bolt pattern and line up but they are not all the same

front sump
mid/mid sump
mid/rear sump

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
The Reaper;968861 said:
wrong.... they all have the same bolt pattern and line up but they are not all the same

front sump
mid/mid sump
mid/rear sump

p969058_1.jpg

p969058_2.jpg

p969058_3.jpg

they actually bolt in different on the upper pans going from front to mid but i doubt anyone else noticed it because its not an issue hehe unless you were short on bolts or did what you should've done in the first place and buy new ones since the old ones heads like to snap off ;)

i used Loctite brand silicone/stuff from summitracing.com. the stuff that is highly resistant to oil etc.

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
yes FIPG for the gaskets. Remember to replace the oil pickup o-ring though in the upper pan to the block mating surfaces.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
tissimo;969381 said:
yes FIPG for the gaskets. Remember to replace the oil pickup o-ring though in the upper pan to the block mating surfaces.

yeah you do not want to put your engine in and start it them suddenly realize you forgot this step... heh

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
tissimo;969381 said:

Dude fippage is the best stuff on the planet, the guy that did my swap has used it for years and it really is amazing.. Kinda like Toyota Red for those of you that know :biglaugh:

Rajunz

Fast Coonass
Apr 5, 2005
Austin, Texas USA
www.cardomain.com
Thanks guys for all of the information. We're having hell getting the 2JZ in that Maverick, the oil pan keeps hitting the crossmember and puts it up too high. Thanks TLO86, I had no idea that there was a mid/rear pan, that will probably fix all of our woes. Do you know which models those came off of? I wonder if Toyota still has those available, it will probably take forever to locate one otherwise, unless you have one for sale?

Thanks,
Lance

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
yeah mkiv supras and 1jz mkiii supras. also the SC300 i took out had a mid/rear. you can of course buy them new still as a last resort if need be but there usually are plenty of GE's around with that pan

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
To my knowledge the JZX and JZS were front sump. JZA and JZZ were mid/rear sump.. IIRC

so out of curiosity, what chassis had the mid/mid? Perhaps it was a 2J powered car I left out as I'm not as familiar with all the chassis it came in.

Last edited:

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
You should be able to get the rear sump pan off of any lexus IS or SC with the NA 2jzge.

Check on craigslist for a lexus partout in a few different cities. Chances are that somebody parting out the lex doesnt know what they have.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
p5150;970581 said:
You should be able to get the rear sump pan off of any lexus IS or SC with the NA 2jzge.

Check on craigslist for a lexus partout in a few different cities. Chances are that somebody parting out the lex doesnt know what they have.

IS300 is front sump according to what I've seen and heard..