Oil pan drain discovery (1JZ)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Guys, just thought I might post this up in here too (there's another similar post in the oils/lubricants section). I discovered something interesting while changing my oil last weekend:

p1759204_1.jpg

Anyone else notice this on their 1j/2j/7m/whatever? The threads have some sort of cutout on them, I can only guess to aid in draining the oil, since this cutout is on the lowest point of the drain hole. Never seen this on any other engine that I've change the oil on though, not to say that I really looked all that hard, just noticed it because I stripped out the plug bolt that was in there at some point or another.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
i just bought a new oil pan from toyota and it doesnt have that cutout on the threads. i have noticed that the early JZA70 lower oil pan seems to be different from the later JZ pans. the later ones have more indentations on them. weird

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The problem with that cutout is that if the bolt is overtorqued by the jiffylube bandits it creates a dent in the pan at the cutout and forever leaks afterwards.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
There are two problems with the fumoto valves.

1. After installing one, you never have an excuse for using an oil changing service again.
2. If you DO use an oil changing service, they'll try to nick your fumoto and replace it with a stock one without telling you, the cheeky bastards.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
slowmedown;1759216 said:
i just bought a new oil pan from toyota and it doesnt have that cutout on the threads. i have noticed that the early JZA70 lower oil pan seems to be different from the later JZ pans. the later ones have more indentations on them. weird
Good to see you're getting back into the game man. I haven't been on AZSC in a long while (hope to remedy that someday), but good to hear. You'd love driving your old car now man, feels a little 'loose', but it's damned quick for being such a pig. ;)

3p141592654;1759242 said:
The problem with that cutout is that if the bolt is overtorqued by the jiffylube bandits it creates a dent in the pan at the cutout and forever leaks afterwards.
If one of said Jiffylube bandits were anywhere near my car they'd be getting beaten with a breaker bar... I've even convinced my girlfriend to do her own oil BECAUSE of how difficult it was to remove her old filter and drain plug after her last visit. :nono:

GrimJack;1759372 said:
There are two problems with the fumoto valves.

1. After installing one, you never have an excuse for using an oil changing service again.
2. If you DO use an oil changing service, they'll try to nick your fumoto and replace it with a stock one without telling you, the cheeky bastards.

Who on here doesn't change their own oil? We're MEN aren't we, I thought this was a requirement for upkeep on the 'Man Card'? :p

Will probably get one of those valves next time the oil is changed, no sense in risking damage to the threads on the pan...

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Good info...

Any issues with clearance to the ground (standard Eibach Sport spring height, w/18" wheels)? As many times as I've scraped the subframe/oilpan, I wanna B sure I don't damage it some way that will leave me without oil (rodknock or seized engine on side of highway).

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You scrape the pan on eibachs? Need to go a little slower over bumps. Ive scrapped pretty hard sometime and never hit the frame or pan.

It might be a problem then but scraping the pan with the stock one might be too. Im pretty low and it wont be a problem for me. The pan sits kinda higher up then the subframe and its at an angle so it really shouldnt be a problem esp if you just get the standard valve.

Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
te72;1759479 said:
Good to see you're getting back into the game man. I haven't been on AZSC in a long while (hope to remedy that someday), but good to hear. You'd love driving your old car now man, feels a little 'loose', but it's damned quick for being such a pig. ;)

oh yeah? miss that car glad its in good hands now. well have to meet up some day once i get my swap done

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Once I put it on 18s, haven't had any issues ('cept for the low-hanging midpipe). Should be okay, but that plug still seems kinda vulnerable. The valve's only 'round $25US so worth a try I guess.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Satan;1759496 said:
Any issues with clearance to the ground (standard Eibach Sport spring height, w/18" wheels)? As many times as I've scraped the subframe/oilpan, I wanna B sure I don't damage it some way that will leave me without oil (rodknock or seized engine on side of highway).
You must be going over some mean bumps... I had the Eibach's on stock size tires, and about the only thing I ever scraped was the front lip from time to time. Took about an hour to get over speed bumps though...

slowmedown;1759679 said:
oh yeah? miss that car glad its in good hands now. well have to meet up some day once i get my swap done
Well, all the goodies are getting put into another shell, since your old car had been t-boned pretty good at some point in the early 2000's, so I'm moving all the good bits over to a more solid car. This shell will likely live on though, we have enough parts to build Supras from boxes. :p