Oil mods and pics.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Ok, finally took some photos as I'm pulling out the Eman/E-01 today, so I figured I'd post some photos of the Uber oil system too.

here is the pump and crossover mods. Everything is AN10 sized from the pump, block, filter, cooler and back into the main galley. There is no filter adapter because the passege between the block rail and filter boss is plugged, and the AN10 adapter just goes out the hole for the NA cooler bypass that I tapped for it.
p213587_1.jpg

Ok, so here is the side of the block where the oil comes out and goes back in. The adapter at the filter/galley is a BSP20mm, fits perfectly. I'd go that route if I did this again at the NA port too v/s the 1/2" to AN10 compression fitting I used.
p213587_2.jpg

Here is the oil filter. It's mounted using 3 stock nuts/holes, so I only had to drill one hole in the apron. (Those are the brackets Canton sells with the filter.) The filter is a non bypassing depth unit from Mecca. Flows more dirty than a brand new paper spin on type, and stops debris down to 8 microns where your spin on paper filters at best stop crap down to about 20 microns, and more likely 40+ for the Fram shit.
p213587_3.jpg

Ok, from here all the oil goes through a RX7 oil cooler with built in thermostat. I cleaned this one up and thermaldispersant coated it. Then ended up just welding it at the mounting tabs to the end tanks on my FMIC. (Only about 1/2" of total contact so there is little heat transfer I hope.) It basicly sits in the air flow from the upper grille, and the FMIC sits down in the lower grille opening, and is partly obscured by the stock impact bar still. (That mod will be done eventually.)
p213587_4.jpg

After the cooler, it goes back via a T fitting and one way valve. The flow is directly back into the main galley, but the T goes back to the hatch area where my subwoofer grille holds 3 quarts of oil in reserve if the pickup is ever uncovered, and oil pressure drops. :)
p213587_5.jpg

Just to be sure that 8 micron filtration was not enough, I've added a OilGuard bypass filter that cleans the oil down to 1 micron or better. This is the best oil fitration you can get IMHO.
p213587_6.jpg

Here is the entire oil side of the engine. You can see the bypass OilGuard filter where the evap canister used to go, and the Canton/Mecca filter on the right apron.
p213587_7.jpg

Last edited:

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Thanks, nothing like X,XXX$ in foolishness purchasing stainless AN lines, fittings and other "stuff" from Canton and the local hose supplier. The good part is oil pressure where I wanted it, and if the car is driven hard, I don't have to worry about oil related engine failure.

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
IJ, I totally agree! When is Moroso going to build us one here for the States, and/or someone going to start mass producing them? (Yep, neither is going to happen anytime soon I belive.)
Thanks though, I think this seutp will be fine for awhile as my better half is pretty much done with me spending money on the Supra. (Difficult part is I'm not done with the turbo/piggyback mods yet...)

The only downside is so much oil pressure that I really need to limit how much is going to the turbo. I hear it's as easy as a NO2 jet, but I'm thinking of using the "return" off my OilGuard as it has a built in flow limiter, and the oil going from the filter to the turbo would be super clean always this way.

It would clean up the side of my engine block too. I have two AN4 ports out of the main galley rail. One is the stock turbo feed location, and the other is a normally plugged hole. I'd like to remove the rear one and just plug it since the fit between the turbo support bracket and that supply fitting is close.

When I get the new turbo/manifold and lines figured out, I'll post a photo one of these days. :)

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
wow, that's crazy... i don't know that much, but is that a dry sump set up, or what? and where does the targa top go now??? :icon_neut lol, i'm jus jokin

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
my buddy runs the same oil cooler from an rx7
really big unit.
I'm trying to get one for the supra.
What degree is the thermostat set at?

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Not exactly sure on the oil temp, but I belive it's around 180 f.
Works great too, on cold days, the T-stat side is nice and hot, and the other side of the cooler is barely warm to the touch, if not outright cool.
But, on hot days, when it's needed, you can really feel the heat being radiated off the cooler. One of these days I'll install a oil temp gauge, and then I'll know for sure.

It's not dry sump, but it's about as close as you can get in function using a stock oil pump and pan.

So, the oil holes in the GT turbo's are restricted to limit flow to each bearing? I've been looking at the GT4088r, and was told to limit oil flow as they tend to smoke if you give them too much, so that makes complete sense.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
well, great work man, that's one hell of a set up you've got there... i'd say it's safe to say you'll never have an oil related engine failure :biglaugh: