Oil line problems!

JonnyZ(Socal)

Apr 12, 2010
Norwalk, California, United States
Okay, so about a week and a half ago I sold and installed a turbo for a fellow member! Everything was looking good except for the oil tube on the bottom of the turbo that goes back to the block. I replaced all of the gaskets and cleaned the surfaces of all the oil/coolant lines. IIRC the TSRM says to torque it to 9 ft. lbs... well i did that and it was leaking pretty bad, it would make the turbo smoke and leak quite a bit, so I went back down there and tightened it some more. The leak was not as bad after that, it was leaking about 1 drop every 30 sec or so. Today I got an email from him saying that it had gotten pretty bad again, its smoking and leaving pools of oil.

So here's my question: Is there something that commonly happens, was I supposed to use locktite on the bolt?
Is there a misprint in the TSRM, is it supposed to be more than 9 ft. lbs?
Can it be possible that there is a crack on the surface of the oil tube?
Any help is appreciated, I just want to fix this... the nut closer to the block is a b**** to get to and I want to be done with it so we can progress!!!

bloodasp90

JZwhore of JAPAN
Nov 9, 2007
on the river
hay ive been in the same seat you have been in, are you using a stock oil tube or a different kit? the best thing ive ever done was to buy the soft line kit from DM..

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Either the surface was not cleaned enough or the surface is not flat.

Remove and inspect and possibly replace.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
you can try but youd be smarter to just take the turbo off. when you start messing with the lines down there you have the chance to bend things thus making them much harder to get back on.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Youre going to fight with it 10x as much if you try without pulling the turbo, and it i wll probably end up leaking again. I have put a verrry light smear of Right Stuff gasket maker on that gasket and never had a problem.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Probably, but the Right Stuff is superior, its some kind of magic RTV haha. If you use RTV often i recommend buying a can of the stuff, its pretty good stuff.