Oil Light

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
That's what happens when I break my rule about dealing with swaps and unknown wiring. I should have asked if the flashing was rhythmic, rpm dependent, or just....flashing. Who knows what the light was connecting to. It may have been simply an intermittent short to ground as IJ suggested. If you're going to troubleshoot you'll need to disconnect it from the sender though.

Jon: You're welcome. Yeah, it's an goofy design. Think thermal telegraph. In hindsight I should have just scanned and posted the page out of the Body Electrical Manual. Its drawings, schematics, and text would have saved me all that typing. Here's a couple pics. This sender happens to be missing the resistor (goes across the prongs) used to cal the amount of current through the heater. The notched wheel with the ramp is a mechanical zero.

Mar 14, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
new problem. connected back the wire to the sender. now at idle theres no light. but the minute i touch the gas and rpms raise the oil light comes on. the higher the rpm the brighter the light becomes

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Couldn't you use an aftermarket oil pressure gauge with a programmable warning light and wire the warning light output to the oil idiot light in the Cressida?

It doesn't seem like you're going to get the stock sender off the gte to send any useful signal to the Cressy's idiot light.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
suprarx7nut;1492233 said:
Couldn't you use an aftermarket oil pressure gauge with a programmable warning light and wire the warning light output to the oil idiot light in the Cressida?

It doesn't seem like you're going to get the stock sender off the gte to send any useful signal to the Cressy's idiot light.

This, or you very well could be waiting for rod knock.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
BKCressida1718;1492424 said:
so you're saying that oil pressure can decrease per rpm?

Oil pressure WILL decrease with rpm. All I'm saying is with a light that is not working properly and no gauge who knows what your oil presure is. Of course lots of cars don't have them, but its good peice of mind and there cheap enough.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
jetjock;1480714 said:
...I should have just scanned and posted the page out of the Body Electrical Manual. Its drawings, schematics, and text would have saved me all that typing...

If you don't mind me asking, what exactly is this Body Electrical manual? Is it Supra specific? Where can I get one?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Body Electrical System is Publication ST1018E. One of many factory service manuals available during that time covering everything from climate controls to charging systems in greater detail than TSRMs. Used for training dealer service techs. Although not model specific the Supra is well represented in most of these books because it was the company's flagship. Good luck finding them though. Try a dealer or keep an eye on Ebay.

Digi: Studying the TEWD would have told you. And the schematics clearly show oil pressure is input to the ecu. Iirc it's used to trim target idle speed during warm up.