Oil Leak!!!

SupraChrisMk3

New Booster
Feb 8, 2006
Salisbury, Vermont, United States
After balancing my tires down in the garage yesterday I saw a small pool of oil under the front of the car while I was looking things over. I found that there was some oil dripping from the oil pan drain plug. Nothing really bad just one drop every 15 seconds or so. The plug is definately tight so I'm thinking I just need to get a new gasket. Any other tips or suggestions on a fix for my little issue would be a great help.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Lol, they'd have to replace it with something Grim ;)

I've had one on my car for 17 years. A very well made gadget that saves time. Plus since it never gets removed it never gets a chance to leak. Course, I no longer change my oil as much as I used to but the Fumoto is still there and a pleasure to use when I do. Fram also makes a quick drain but it's not nearly as nice imho.

Superjustin13

Supra teacher 101
Apr 4, 2005
Idaho
i'd buy one.

but

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
That's one way to plug the hole;)

Speaking of the Fumoto, some people fear it'll open or get torn out. It certainly can't open on it's own but here's a story I posted a while back. Keep in mind the odds of this happening to anyone are pretty slim. Fwiw, I have Fumotos on all my cars. I swear, this is a true story.

The threads on the valve stuck up into the Supra's oil pan a little bit. Being as anal as I am I machined them down so they'd be flush. Years ago I was driving in a place I shouldn't have been, a large expanse of concrete on an airport ramp. There was a pipe sticking up about 6 inches out of the concrete and, at night, I didn't see it. It was the only such obtacle on the entire airport.

Anyway, this little bugger surgically removed the Fumoto. Just yanked it out without any damage to the pan at all. I left a stripe of oil all the way to the nearby highway and for 8 more miles at 80 mph until the engine seized. I coasted over to the side and was stunned when I found what had happend. The engine (60K miles on it) was just cooking by that time, too hot to get near.

I called a friend and he brought over 5 quarts of oil and an airplane spark plug which I knew was also 18mm. We let the car cool, screwed the spark plug into the pan, dumped in the oil, and fired her up. The only damage was a very slight ticking from a front cam saddle. I drove that engine another 40K miles before rebuilding it. Everytime I read about rod knock I think about that incident, over 15 years ago.

We went back to the airport the next day and found the Fumoto (and the long stripe going down the road). I reinstalled it and never had another problem. The same valve is on the car to this day.

Before anyone asks, the oil was Mobil One.

Last edited: