Oil Leak: Plug on front of block

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
The plug on the below picture is leaking after my rebuild, the engine shop seems to have taken it out and did not reseal it, I didn't realize this until I got the engine back in the car :icon_evil :1zhelp:

What is the best way to seal this (type of sealant)? The plug doesn't feel like it fits very tight until you bottom, I would have expect the treads to be a bit tighter fitting but with a bunch of sealant on the treads that probably doesn't matter.

Attachments

• Leaking_Plug.JPG
    Leaking_Plug.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 167

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
teflon tape should do it. You might want to make sure it wasnt a bsp plug that was replaced with a npt plug. Im not sure if its just the oil plug on the side of the block that is bsp but that could explain your loose fitting

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
I'd buy a new plug from Toyota to make sure you have the right one, then see how tightly it fits, if it's still a bit loose, do something to seal the threads.

Jeff

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
rumptis - How did you fix yours? I think the front plug for the block oil rail is leaking on mine too. Did you have to pull the entire front off including the timing gear case sub-assy? Doesn't that affect the hg seal?

Is it possible to drill a hole, in the sub-assy, small enough to get the allen wrench in? It appears there is structure all around and that area is a void that only covers the plug.

p1383697_1.jpg

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
I ended up getting a plug off of spare block a buddy had sitting around and used Teflon tap to seal it. Haven't had any leaks since. The one the shop put in it was the wrong plug for sure.

I took the entire front cover off (pain in the butt), this was only possible cause the machine shop that rebuilt my engine had not milled the cover down at the same time as the block so I had to have them do it later after I had the block home and we had to make the best guess as to how much was taken off, they ended up taking a little too much off which allowed me to take it off and put it back on without messing up the HG. So unless you have the extra room on the top I had you would need to take the head off to remove or at least install the front cover without damaging the HG which I'm sure you will not want to do.

I hadn't even thought about drilling a hole, that's really not a bad idea. I would have to look at a removed front cover very carefully before I would try this which it looks like you have.

You are correct about the structure around that area, its been awhile but from what I remember I don't think it would cause any other problems and would save you a lot of time, hassle and money cause I'm guessing you would also need to remove the head.

Wish I would have thought about this!!!

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
Thanks for the reply. Since you had the wrong plug, yours had to come off anyway :( Or maybe you could have drilled large enough to get the plug out.

I think, (hope), mine is the correct plug and only needs tighten. The one at the rear was loose. Took the transmission off expecting to do a rear main the that plug was barely in there. Teflon tape and tighten and now I'm not going through a quart a week.

This is why I suspect to find the same for the front plug. I just wanted opinions of drilling the case, cause it looks feasible.

edit: that filled in area is only 4mm thick

Last edited:

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
rumptis;1383933 said:
You are correct about the structure around that area, its been awhile but from what I remember I don't think it would cause any other problems and would save you a lot of time, hassle and money cause I'm guessing you would also need to remove the head.

Wish I would have thought about this!!!

You don't have to remove the head, but you do have to put lots of sealant on the area that the head gasket sits on, when you reinstall it.

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
I'm thinking I will put a 1/2" hole in there, to get the 3/8" allen in there, and tighten that plug.
I don't think it will compromise any structure and doesn't expose any coolant or oil passages.
The plug itself is 11/16" but the 1/2" will give me enough room, for 3/8" allen, in case I don't get exact center of the plug.

Last edited:

isnms

United States of America
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
i80.photobucket.com
I haven't done it :: facepalm ::
It is just a drip now and I'm pretty sure it is either no FIPG at timing case to block or the front oil rail plug.
I don't want to do one to find out it was the other. So for the moment I just live with it.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
interesting place to leak from! isnms, can you see the plug on the back through one of the trans inspection plates? ive got a nice layer of sludge built up on the back of the block in front of the flywheel, not sure what has allowed the build up back there...