oil leak (pics)

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
So i have a look on my drive and there it is. a nice oil leak very clean oil so its a good leak and its comin out fairly fast i,e i drove up the drive just to see and there was a lil oil where i parked further up after like a minute.

it doesnt seem to be coming from the actual engine more like an oil line to me

see what you think heres the pics

just needing some help on what might need replacing.

oh and i'm stil having the dipstick issue where it won't come out

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Well, since there's oil all over the oil cooler lines, that's suspect, as is the oil filter location itself. Also the oil pressure sending unit is directly above that location, so it also should be checked.

And of course, the front main seal shouldn't be neglected. Even if the drip is somewhere else, that's still a possibility.

And, ov course, there's also the possibility that this is coming right down from the valve covers.

The ONLY way that I know of to trace a leak for sure is to clean everything and watch carefully before EVERYTHING gets oily again.

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
that would help. hehe cheers erm u know its funny u mentioned the oil pressure sending unit. since my oil pressure needle has been going of the gauge. i mean i didnt think anything of it when i opened the oil cap there didnt seem to be any pressure. so i thought it was a fault of the gauge itself.

Do you think this could be the reason for the oil leak?

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Shima;899907 said:
that would help. hehe cheers erm u know its funny u mentioned the oil pressure sending unit. since my oil pressure needle has been going of the gauge. i mean i didnt think anything of it when i opened the oil cap there didnt seem to be any pressure. so i thought it was a fault of the gauge itself.

Do you think this could be the reason for the oil leak?

ROFL!

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
heh abuse abuuuse. no seriously i was told by mechanic dude that if no pressure in oil cap or when dipstick is half out then its not got to much pressure in it. so what ur saying is i'v been driving with oil pressure through the roof. :aigo:

you've scared me now

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
You won't "feel" oil pressure as pressure coming out of the oil cap...That would be positive crankcase pressure, which shouldn't be very high, since it is always being vented to the intake.

Where does your oil pressure sit at?

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
haha no it rises during driving. like start the car its bottom then as i drive a bit it will keep rising then eventually go off the marks on the gauge. i got a pic somewhere. it rises during idle aswell.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Adrian98

Banned
Dec 19, 2006
orange county
jetjock;900234 said:
No oil pressure under that cap. Good stuff.
haha yeah i agree, the more miles i put on my diesel the more "oil pressure" i get under the cap :biglaugh:
in the form of white smoke :lol:

Shima

I'v got Supra powers
May 23, 2007
carlisle
hehe now now i was told that by a mechanic. :p who was supprisingly scared to take the oil cap off when he was explaining this. hmm maybe i should get a better mechanic...

id edit the post so i didnt look like a tool but its been quoted to much ;)

but yea i'll have to check that gauge properly and i thought lines at first.
guess i'll clean the engine and get it up so i can have a proper look.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
You can also get a dye that goes in the oil from any auto parts store. It'll trace down a nice bright green from anywhere it's leaking. It would help to clean everything, first...