Oil leak from hole in front of engine

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
I've searched for an answer but can't find an answer. I've been having problems with my 7m since I've bolted on my new turbo. I have a pretty bad oil leak, it is coming from a hole in the front of my engine, just above the pan gasket, behind the crank pulley. What is this hold for, and what causes oil to leak out of it. It is some sort of weep seal? How do I fix it?

I've got a holset hy35, 4 an feed like with a .065 restrictor, and a 10 an drain. PVC ports on the valve covers are connected with a filter in between them.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Yes it is a weep hole, if you have oil coming from here you need to pull the timing cover and check where the leak is coming from. Most likely it is from the cam seals, oil pump shaft seal, or crank seal, but there are other possibilities.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
dylansword;1917290 said:
PVC ports on the valve covers are connected with a filter in between them.

Your two valve covers are hooked to each other and no outlet to anything else?
I think you found your problem.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
I do believe the PCV needs vacuum to operate properly..

Pull your dipstick with the engine running and cover the hole, do you feel any pressure pushing against your finger? If you can't tell, cover it with a piece of paper and see if the paper moves. Sounds like the pressure in the crankcase has caused one of your seals to push out. As stated above, cam seals and front main would come to mind first.

mk2 supra

Nov 28, 2009
Oregon
Other things come to my mind.....Bad memories lol
p1917611_1.jpg

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
Poodles;1917813 said:
Bigger turbo = more boost = more blowby = more need for PCV

Makes sense. I'm going to pull off timing cover off to see what is leaking, probably replace all the seals i can, as well as fab up a new intake pipe so I can hook the PVC system back up.

dylansword

Aug 10, 2011
boise id
Also makes me wonder, if the 7m needs a PVC system hooked up and working, why I see so many pics of people's engines with the PVC ports just hooked together...

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
89jdm7m, I've actually seen that before.. IIRC there's a pin that needs to line up on the back side and people in a hurry can't get it to seal completely by just pushing it on there so they use the bolts to draw it up, thus pushing the pin through the rear timing cover.

That's why many people will say, don't use the bolts to draw anything up.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
damn, that's rough... I always do things by the book, but still... I've run into issues where the writer of the workbook had no idea what they were talking about, and said procedure failed miserably (removing 7m oilpan for instance) if you follow a haynes manual on that, you will FAIL... TSRM FTW