Oil in intake

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
I know this question has been asked before, but I searched and couldn't find the info I was looking for. What causes lots of oil in the intake? I have quite a bit of oil in my intake. From the accordian hose to the manifold it all has oil in it. Is it possible for the front seal in the turbo to go, leaking oil into the intake, but without causing the turbo to smoke? I don't think I am getting blow by as I am pretty sure my rings are good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
i was just about to make a similar thread so ill just whore on into yours:biglaugh: i havent checked my charge pipes yet but i have oil dripping from my egr cooler.no its not coming from the cam covers. the head is freshly rebuilt(1500mi. ago) and when i had the turbo off the hot side had some up and down movent but not front/back.. im thinking its safe to say him and i have blown turbos but like him. my car is not smoking the slightest bit:dunno:

Silent Smith

Jerk.
Nov 30, 2005
Mississauga
Is there room for another on this bandwagon?

From the filter to tb had light oil and tb to intake valves had almost grease in it. I have some side to side and no in and out play (well from the turbo anyhow :naughty: )

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Wow! Oil in the intake party in the tech section! Everybody come join in! Bring your own booze and something to BBQ. Hopefully some light gets shed on this situation soon, or the neighbors might call the cops.

87supraturbo19

pearl white
Jan 16, 2006
Springfield,MO
i posted the last thread on this. i was told it comes from the pcv hose that goes to the accordian pipe and this normal for a stock car. you have to get an aftermarket catch can.

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Probably is from the PCV. I noticed that on mine too AFTER I redid my valve cover gaskets. But I did notice that there is oil from the EGR cooler area that couldn't possibly be from the valve cover gaskets...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Oil in the intake tract is either from the PCV system or a bad turbo. If it's in the accordian it's likely from the PCV system. Be sure the PCV orifice located deep in the TB is clear and blowby is not excessive.

Oil on the EGR cooler is almost always from the valve covers. There is no other soucre of oil in that area other than a cracked block or head. There are several ways to pinpoint oil leaks. An old trick is to solvent wash the area and sprinkle baby (talcum) power around the suspected areas and then drive for a day.

The absolute best way to find oil leaks is to UV trace them. Go to the local auto store and buy UV trace dye for oil. Also buy a UV LED or other UV light. Or look here:

http://tinyurl.com/lnppz

None of this is expensive, you can do it on the cheap with the right LED light if you look for one. This method is what the pros use and also works for coolant, PS fluid, A/C on and on. Just be sure to use the right dye for the job.

7M-GTE

ROCK$T@R
Apr 2, 2005
KC
the oil in the intake lines/charge pipes comes from the pvc system or a blown turbo... I've experienced both... get a catch can if your turbo's not blown...