Oil in intake side of turbo, charge piping etc!!

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
So I currently have a leaking oil return line from the upper gasket, and see oil residue in the blow off valve, turbo housing on the intake side, and oil in the charge piping that runs to the throttle body.

Ive looked at my turbo and there is no play aside from the minimal allowance it should have up/down.

My question is would the oil return line simply be the main culprit in this situation or are the seals in the turbo blown at this point in time if im noticing oil pretty much everywhere in the system?

would this be time for a turbo rebuild?

it is a stock supra turbo.

thanks!

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
It is likely the positive crankcase ventilation system. If there is too much oil for you, install a catch can.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
The oil, depending on the quantity, is either from the pcv system (normal) or if it's alot of oil blown turbo seals (not good).

It's typical to have a little bit of oil as the pcv (hard pipe that goes to the valve covers to throttle to accordian pipe infront of turbo) as that's the pcv's job to such oil, water, gas vapors out of the crank case and to maintain vacume on the block.

sparkplug619

2 Supras, 1 Paycheck =[
Sep 28, 2008
San Diego California
i was worried about this also. There was oil in my intercooler all the way up, my turbo was fine. I posted the question here with a pic and it wasnt enough oil to stress over, more then likely just my pcv. pull off your intercooler pipe, if its not pouring out, chances are its pcv

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
^my bad, forgot to add, this car completely lacks the egr/evap system as they were removed. Can you elaborate on how the crankcase ventilation system would play a part in this?

im learning as i go along.

i basically have oil stains on my blow off valve, and can stain my finger black if i were to run it along any of the inner sides of the pipe

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
EGR and EVAP are separate systems from the PCV.

PCV is a ventilation system. It allows pressure differential to escape/vent so it doesnt cause seals to blow out.

It also allows any moisture to boil off and out along with any fuel in the oil.

It runs from the throttle body to the two ports on the valve covers to the accordion hose in stock form. this is what causes oil vapors to condense and form in the accordion hose, compressor housing, intercooler and intercooler piping.

Installing a catch can between the pcv hose and the accordion hose is common practice to reduce most/all of the oil in the intake track including the areas you have discovered it.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
The evap is important as it help out the fuel pump, Also allows you to fill your tank without any issues.

Im not running EGR either with standalone, no ill effects other then the block off plate on the head was leaking and i thought i had a valve train issue for a minute until i started listening closely. Boy was i happy when i found that exhaust leak.

BOOSTEDSUPRA

THE DRIVELINE GUY
Jan 4, 2007
turlock, calif
Me[kk]A;1464913 said:
planning on going full standalone.. my car also doesn't require emissions where i live.

:D

you non emission sniffing, non california living people suck with your no smog! :icon_bigg

i feel like ive got a permanate rod stuck up my car's tailpipe and some bloke constantly telling me my car fail's!!!! damn california and its awsome over taxed weather!! :biglaugh:

RotaryHead

Gets beat up by Motors
Aug 27, 2009
Tucker, Georgia, United States
pvc system has little to do with emissions but still is needed unless your running full throttle all the time witch isnt happenin. if you dont have a way to properly vent the crankcase then you will be doin seal replacement more often and finding suprise leaks everywhere.

Me[kk]A

Nov 16, 2009
Toronto
So the two lines running from the intake are running back to the throttle body and back to the crank case (back to the Valve cover)

redid the injector o-rings and the grommets, they were brittle as rocks.. hope ive completely solved that vaccuum leak issue.

*update* car is running so much better than she was, nearly healthy idle, exhaust manifold gasket, wastegate stock replacement, oil return line and rebuilt turbo for next week

siggh....

Last edited: