oil help me out j dub:)

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ok im about to change the gear oil in my tranny 88" r154 what gear oil is best? i have about 185000 and i dont know when the last time it was changed because i just bought the car. i am also changin the rear end gear oil...again i dont know when the last change was on it too...soo should i just top it off and leave it alone or change it? if i should change it what should i use? i work at a valvoline vioc so i can get valvoline pretty cheap..but im not tryin to get out cheap im tryin to do it right.so whats my best bet? what brand and weight? also i have lsd in my supra and i have lubegaurd lsd additve at work i can use but agaqin i dont know whats recomoened so j dub im callin on u help me out oil man!! thanks

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
23lk192.jpg

For the rest of my manual driving days

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Red Line MT-90 for the tranny...MTL will work, but is a bit thinner oil that is designed for use in Honda/BMW trannys. MT-90 is better suited for the R-154 IMO.

Red Line 75W-90 for the LSD, but be aware you *may* get chatter using it in a worn differential...this LSD oil contains friction modifier already. For yours, Ford 75W-90 differential oil + ~1/2 oz of the Ford friction modifier for LSDs might be a better choice.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
I have been running 75-90ns in my tranny which is what the tsrm but am getting ready to change it again. does mt-90 really make that big of a difference? Is the thicker oil just better for the tranny?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You'll be ok with that gear oil...it does not contain friction modifiers (you don't want this in a tranny), so it's not going to hurt a thing. MT-90 is a better choice due to it's formulation. I wouldn't drain the 75W-90NS to replace it though...use MT-90 next time ;)

Edit: I mis-read what you said GC...if you're going to replace your tranny oil anyway, get the MT-90.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
YES, the Redline MT-90 really DOES make that much of a difference.

I had normal oil with a grind in second. Then Royal Purple Max Gear, it was smoother, but still would grind. Then I tried Ryal Purple Syncromesh and it ground WORSE. Now I have Redline MT-90...no grind.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Doesn't surprise me a bit ;)

RP Max Gear has friction modifiers in it...not good for synchros.

RP Syncromesh is way too thin...used in manual trannys that require ATF.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
mt 90 it is but im in charlotte ...where do i go to get red line? advanced used to sell it but they dont anymore i bought out all there redline oil like 2 years ago to put in my old porsche anyways but for the lsd i have valvoline synthetic 75w90 at work can i use it and a tube of lubegaurd friction modifier for lsd? what is so special about the ford gear oil? and what is you opinion on valvoline all together? is it better than most conventional brand oils??

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Valvoline oil = average
Valvoline Filters = average (better than Fram - Champion Labs Filter)

You can give the Valvoline 75W-90 & friction modifier a try if you like. You asked what I thought was best, and I told you.

You can buy Red Line at Summit Racing.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ill just go ahead and get the red line from summit then for the lsd and the tranny thanks for the help man..but is valvoline better than penzoil or havoline? or are they just all average oils?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Pennzoil Platinum is much better than average...I have not looked at Havoline in quite a while. There is a lot of info in the Lubricants section, you need to read it if you want to know about oils...start with the stickys and the Motor Oil 101 - AE Haas link in my sig.

I closed the thread you were involved in the Lube section because you didn't seem to want to read 1st, learn, then ask questions...and try to understand what I was saying. Without some background knowledge, you won't understand...I generally help those that help themself. To be honest, I thought twice about replying in this thread...you have your chance.

And, you're welcome ;)

BTW - I'm not saying the Valvoline gear oil is bad...I don't have experience with it or know of anyone else using it.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
well i have been changing oil in cars for 7 years at quick lubes all over and i thought i was pretty educated in the oil game but you have showed me up ...when i was on that other thread i was trying to argue a lil and im sorry but thats just how i try to find out the real answer...and you seem to realy know what your talking about thats why i called on you adn you have hjelped me out alot and i thank u for that. but i am still in the oil changin buisiness as being the assistant manager at a valvoline instant oil change shop . the valvoline reps that come there swear by there oil but they are the valvoline reps and thats what they get paid for. you know about all kinds of oils unlike them. but anyways im using redline in everything in my supra from now on ill leave the valvoline to my mirage lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
jdub: I have a brand new valvoline oil filter sitting on my desk

I need to cut it open and see what it's like inside, but it doesn't look like it's quite as good as the Wix filters...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
The Valvoline filter is a Champion Labs filter to my knowledge. The Wix has the bypass valve (coil spring) at the opening...Champion has it at the dome end (leaf type spring). Look inside the center opening and if you see a coil spring, it's likely a Wix. In addition, the quality filters use a silicone rubber (usually red) anti-drain back valve...the cheaper ones use black nitrile. Even Wix does this on cheaper filters they make for other companies...i.e NAPA Silver and CarQuest Red...the filter also has less pleats.

If the Valvoline filter is a Wix, I would like to see one cut open to verify.

Here's the filter thread in the Lube section...it shows various filters:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42763

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I'm pretty sure Champion makes Valvoline filters but Purolator used to be involved. Said so right on the box.

Poodles: Look at the base plate. Is one of the inlet holes smaller than the others? Is there a code stamped into it? Something like "AA"? If so it's a Champ...

John: Ever seen one of these? Toyota #90915-30002

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Wow...that's different!
Looks like a resin woven media/cellulose plete combo...info on performance?