Oil from exhaust after forged rebuild + tune

FulvioDonnarumma

Sep 24, 2022
Hello everyone!
I'm Fulvio from italy, nice to meet everyone of you. I'll present myself with this post, this is my car:
DSC07922 short.jpg

Engine is a 7m with 210.000kms, we've done a fine rebuild, forged internals (Arias pistons), stock cams, stock rods, acl bearings, trimetallic gaskets, arp studs etc...

The car runs extremely well, we made a tune with an ecumaster emu v3, actually at low boost (0.9 peak)

Problem is after a cold start, if idling for a bit, or in traffic, it start to randomly burns drops of oil. We've checked through the spark plugs holes with a cam and everythings look fine. I do not understand why this is happening. Head, block, everything was made as new.
Only thing i'm suspecting, having a driftmotion exhaust manifolds, with their hks replica wastegate that's mounted upside down...may be that some accumulation is made in there?

Open to suggestions, thanks all!

Dave 1jz

Feb 16, 2010
rotterdam
First of all run in the engine so that the pistons rings seat properly. If this does not help and if the spark plugs have the correct color, i would take a closer look at the turbo (check if the turbine wheel isn't wet with oil or black, should be grey-ish)

Reactions: CrypticRonin

FulvioDonnarumma

Sep 24, 2022
First of all run in the engine so that the pistons rings seat properly. If this does not help and if the spark plugs have the correct color, i would take a closer look at the turbo (check if the turbine wheel isn't wet with oil or black, should be grey-ish)
I've already done 3000 kms since rebuild, already checked on turbo, dry. Sorry to not say that in the original post.
I'm going a bit crazy about this...were thinking maybe its some tolerance due to the forged pistons and the new rings, but it still burns oil after 3000 kms.

Also, i costantly check the oil level and it isn't going down, so the oil burned is very few quantity.

mk3racer

Mar 5, 2009
Northern Virginia
Here’s my suggestion, check the intake pipes for oil, especially the one before intercooler at the bottom. If you find oil there, then it’s likely the turbo is leaking oil in the intake. BTW that can also cause smoke at idle and actually drop in oil pressure at idle. If intake is dry, other possibility is the oil you’re using, is it synthetic? If yes, that’s not good for break in as it will take a looong time for the rings to seat properly.
Good luck

90T 5spd
Original owner

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Based on what you describe I would check the spark plugs to see if you can isolate which cylinder is burning oil. I had a very similar problem as what you describe, and it ended up being a cracked intake valve guide, cylinder 4 in my case. The first machine shop didnt spot it because of where it cracked.