oil fire....bad pictures included...

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
supraman7mgte said:
Dont want to kick you while your down,but that the thing about fixing/rebuilding our cars. Can't point the finger at anyone but ourselves. Great that no one got hurt and the car is fixable

missed this one. you are very right. it was my mistake for taking it on a long trip RIGHT after getting it back together.

i mean, i did check for leaks and drove it around town for an hour or so, but obviously, i didnt take nearly enough time to make sure that everything was good and it was ready for a long trip.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
yes. i plugged it and drilled the gas cap. when i feel like it ill remove that line all together and block it off at the tank, but as you can see i have bigger fish to fry.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
SkyHawk Ecks said:
Charcoal canister thingy... I took my CC out and plugged that line.

Though... would that cause the smell of gas I'm smelling in the cabin?

well you plugged that line, did you give the vapors another place to exit? other wise they are just gonna leak out probably where you plugged it, the pressure in the tank will increase enough to deform the tank so, make sure its vented well. i drilled a hole in the gas cap. dont let you emissions guy see that though!

and also, if you are having gasoline vapor smell in your engine bay a relatively small oil fire like i had could have led to a REAL disaster quite possibly ending in death, or a trip to the burn unit.

i know people who just run a line from that to the ground, however ive bottemed out before and had some sparks fly, so again, do you want to be aiming extremely flammable vapors towards areas where sparks could be generated? i think not...

$pecialk91Turbo

Apr 10, 2005
Tampa
lagged said:
yes. i plugged it and drilled the gas cap. when i feel like it ill remove that line all together and block it off at the tank, but as you can see i have bigger fish to fry.

Ok.. i see the plug now.. *whew* :bigthumb:

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Sorry to hear about your car.

My Supra did the same damn thing, had a massive oil leak from out of the blue (no warning whatsoever) oil then ran down my tranny onto my cat and caught fire. Luckily, I was just pulling in my driveway and I was able to put it out.

It turned out that my headgasket had blown on the outside and was shooting
oil all over the back of my tranny. Nightmare! It took me a day or so to figure it out cause I never had a headgasket go that way. Previous hg failures (different car) always leaked internally and I had never heard of that happening on a Mkiii (still haven't). Just my luck, maybe yours too but I hope not.