Oil Drain Plug Gasket

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
So last time I changed my oil was my first time changing the Supra's oil. I went to the Toyota dealer to get a drain plug gasket, and the guy there reached under the counter and handed me a few. Once I took off my drain plug I saw that there was no way that these gaskets would fit, and realized that he had given me the wrong gasket. I then went to NAPA and bought a 18mm drain plug gasket, but when I put it on, it leaked. So I switched out the new NAPA gasket for my old gasket and the leak stopped and it hasn't leaked since. After this I went to the Toyota dealer and ordered a drain plug gasket using the TSRM part number.

This is the gasket that was on the car when I got it, and what is currently on it. This gasket is larger than the top of the drain plug.
p1799132_1.jpg

These are the gaskets that I bought. The 2nd Toyota one is slightly wider than the NAPA one, but I don't think that it is as wide as the one above.
p1799132_2.jpg

I want to change the gasket because the old one is in rough shape, but I don't want to have to redo everything like I did last time. I am hopping that someone could tell me whether or not the slightly larger Toyota one will seal it, or if I should do something different for a drain plug gasket?

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Your local parts store should have a "Drain Plug Gasket Kit" with different sizes. I am sure if you take the bolt, you can get one. If that is the one with the TSRM part number, it should be the right one.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Toyota has 2 different sizes of drain plugs. The smaller ones, which you were initially given, are what are used for the majority of their newer engines, JZ's included. However, the M engines used the larger gasket that you got from them. Surprised your parts department didn't know the difference... but, good info to tell them if you need a gasket.

Not that I'd use their filters anymore though... (hint hint, read through the Oils & Lubricants sub-forum on here). ;)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
te72;1799312 said:
Toyota has 2 different sizes of drain plugs. The smaller ones, which you were initially given, are what are used for the majority of their newer engines, JZ's included. However, the M engines used the larger gasket that you got from them. Surprised your parts department didn't know the difference... but, good info to tell them if you need a gasket.

Not that I'd use their filters anymore though... (hint hint, read through the Oils & Lubricants sub-forum on here). ;)

Yeah, I think he didn't hear the part where I asked for a drain plug gasket for an 87 Supra, he just heard drain plug gasket and assumed it was for a newer Toyota. I did read through the Oils sub forum, when I first changed my oil and decided to go with a Wix filter since they seemed to be much better than the Toyota ones. I was also suprised by how much larger the Wix one was compared to the Toyota one the car came with. The Toyota one was like half the size.

IBoughtASupra;1799139 said:
Your local parts store should have a "Drain Plug Gasket Kit" with different sizes. I am sure if you take the bolt, you can get one. If that is the one with the TSRM part number, it should be the right one.

Thanks, I guess I will use the Toyota one that I ordered and see if it leaks, and if it does I will try and figure something else out.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The toyota one was probably much bigger 20 years ago, toyota probably released an updated filter that fits some newer model and supersedes the original spec filter (just cause it fits and works, not because it's better). I'm not 100% sure this is the case here, but that exact thing happened on my old car.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The toyota one was probably much bigger 20 years ago, toyota probably released an updated filter that fits some newer model and supersedes the original spec filter (just cause it fits and works, not because it's better). I'm not 100% sure this is the case here, but that exact thing happened on my old car.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Silver MK3;1799361 said:
Yeah, I think he didn't hear the part where I asked for a drain plug gasket for an 87 Supra, he just heard drain plug gasket and assumed it was for a newer Toyota. I did read through the Oils sub forum, when I first changed my oil and decided to go with a Wix filter since they seemed to be much better than the Toyota ones. I was also suprised by how much larger the Wix one was compared to the Toyota one the car came with. The Toyota one was like half the size.
You should see the Amsoil filter for the 5m/6m... I was concerned it wouldn't even fit it was so big. But, supposedly good for a year or 15k, whichever comes first. :)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I did change my oil about three weeks ago, and when I put the oem toyota gasket on it was still leaking. So to stop the leak I just tightened it a little past the factory torque setting, and the leak stopped. I guess now I need to go and look around for a drain plug gasket similar to the one that was on there when I got the car for next time, or just do the same thing I did this time, next time also.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
jetjock;1817331 said:
Just get a Fumoto valve and be done with it.
I have been thinking about getting one. I just need to make sure that I order it before I drain all of the oil out and then remember that I wanted to order one. I have the small dent in my oil pan threads, from where the plug had been overtightened by the previous owner. Will the fumoto valve still make a good seal even with that dent?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Silver MK3;1817365 said:
I have been thinking about getting one. I just need to make sure that I order it before I drain all of the oil out and then remember that I wanted to order one.
Do it now, then you won't need to remember. ;)

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I finally ordered my fumoto valve, in time for my next oil change. Hopefully it will seal right, and I won't ever have to worry about a leaky drain plug again.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
FWIW, the mount for the oil filter will take the one for the older Ford V8 engines. Ford's part number FL1A (Fram PH8A) if you want a larger cannister. I'm sure you can get these with much larger filtration elements in it as well. Not sure how this would fit in the stock location on the 7M-GTE, but they work fine on the 7M-GE.

There's another filter which is taller, but not larger in diameter than the stock, but I don't remember the part number offhand. (I remember the information about the Ford ones, since I've used those filters on the 7M-GE before, and found that I could get the oil filter relocation kit much cheaper asking about a Ford vs a Toyota.)

For the drain plug gasket, there should have been no reason for the Napa one to leak unless your drain plug is damaged. I've also found that re-use a couple of times is okay if you don't over-torque the plug so that the gasket doesn't get crushed too much. It will get crushed some though. It appears to me as though the one that you have on there in that photo has probably been used a couple of times, and has been crushed to expand some. It happens.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I've been thinking about ordering the Fumoto myself. Do we use the F-104?

And I just use the Toyota drain gaskets although I thought they were green. I order 3 or 4 every time I order a part from the dealer.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Dan_Gyoba;1860298 said:
FWIW, the mount for the oil filter will take the one for the older Ford V8 engines. Ford's part number FL1A (Fram PH8A) if you want a larger cannister. I'm sure you can get these with much larger filtration elements in it as well. Not sure how this would fit in the stock location on the 7M-GTE, but they work fine on the 7M-GE.

There's another filter which is taller, but not larger in diameter than the stock, but I don't remember the part number offhand. (I remember the information about the Ford ones, since I've used those filters on the 7M-GE before, and found that I could get the oil filter relocation kit much cheaper asking about a Ford vs a Toyota.)

For the drain plug gasket, there should have been no reason for the Napa one to leak unless your drain plug is damaged. I've also found that re-use a couple of times is okay if you don't over-torque the plug so that the gasket doesn't get crushed too much. It will get crushed some though. It appears to me as though the one that you have on there in that photo has probably been used a couple of times, and has been crushed to expand some. It happens.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm just gonna stay with the Wix filters that I am using. When I got the car there was a Toyota filter on it that was about half the size of the Wix one, so I'm sure that using the Wix one is much better than the Toyota one.

mkiii222;1860450 said:
I've been thinking about ordering the Fumoto myself. Do we use the F-104?

And I just use the Toyota drain gaskets although I thought they were green. I order 3 or 4 every time I order a part from the dealer.

Yes, we do use the F-104. I just got mine in yesterday, and it comes with a washer that is pretty much fixed to the fumoto valve, so I guess I didn't need to get one from the Toyota Dealer.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
te72;1799312 said:

Toyota has more sizes than just 2, but 2 very common ones, the smaller of which is used by pretty much every car for the last 20 years, which means that most parts guys are probably used to just handing them out and don't think that since it's older it may be a different size. It happens.

90430-18023 is the newest part number for the drain plug gasket on the 7M, they're black. :)

Jeff

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I installed my fumoto valve yesterday. I had to torque it to 34 ft-lbs to get it to stop leaking from the dent in the oil pan, but at least now I will never have to worry about taking out a drain plug agian and getting it to seal up right.