Oil Cooler Required? What weight Synthetic Oil 3000mi Race on fresh Race 7M-GTE

kmfdmk

Old School Cool
This is my build thread I've just spent about 10 or 11 grand on a race prepped 7M-GTE that should make 425hp or more. (hoping more).

My question is do you experienced 7M-GTE guys think I should spend the extra money for the Oil Cooler setup at the possible cost of not getting to upgrade the Springs & Shocks/Struts (to 450/300 & 8-way AGX's) and just going with new GR2's or something.

I realize that this isn't the time to skimp, however I've got almost no money left, and I'll have to drive it 3000 miles to NYC for the beginning of the Race, (I mean rally of course) and then rally it back to Las Vegas, and from there home to Vancouver, WA. The engine will be broken in and tuned well before I leave to NYC, however I'm concerned about Oil Temps...

Do you think that 6 to 9 or 10 hours of hard driving would lead to catastrophicly elevated oil temps??

I plan on running Full Synthetic in it. What weight oil should I run? I'm sponsored by Amsoil so I can get it from them for a discount.

I realize the Oil Cooler or Not answer has probably been answered before, but I'm asking about my specific application. 7M-GTE, .57trim CT-26, .020 pistons (all forged internals), maft pro, 550cc injectors, fmic.

My gut is telling me to get the damn oil cooler.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
After looking at your build thread, I understand...

Running without ANY cooler is not going to be wise in the durability department. Even a stock GTE setup would be better than no cooler IMHO... But a proper full flow, t-stat controlled cooler is far better.

Also, about the suspension. Adjustability isn't a great thing unless you can dial it in and have a way to measure the way it handles. There is plenty of info on this in the suspension section.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I think it depends on how you define hard driving. Do you mean long extended periods of high speed or do you mean high throttle and load? Keep in mind a higher efiiciency/capacity radiator will also help reduce oil temps some as it's able to remove more heat from the engine.

The stock oil cooler is decent, I've been using it for a while for track use for 25-30 min. sessions in up to 95 deg. weather however I'm not at those power levels. I am planning to upgrade the cooler with the new engine though as it will make more power (power = heat)
You shouldn't ever be able to push like that on the open road but long stints of high speed does still yield a lot of heat since you probably won't have the short off throttle times like brake zones. That kind of money in the engine is a lot to loose, having extra capacity as long as it's thermostat controlled would be good insurance.

If it's long high speeds you could look to a higher rear ratio or tire height to help so you're turning lower rpms.

Just my thoughts
Brian

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I prefer an oversized Cooler with enough headroom for any cirumstance then use a thermostat to keep the oil within a set range.

Stock bypass cooler is far too small to do this, not to mention is only active above 40psi so you have no cooling when you're off the throttle/low rpm.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
So the opposite of the opposite Ian or you're too tired to make sense :)

Sorry, didn't see the date on the post but was searching for similar.