Oil change PITA!!

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
I changed the oil for the 1G yesterday. I was all excited because I found a local dealer that sells Wix filters for not tonnes of dollars (in my small town of 5000 that surprised me). Drain the oil no problem, dig out my shiny new Wix and get psyched to put it in....

DAMN TO THE DEPTHS THE HALF-WIT BRAIN-DEAD F^*KTARD that decided the oil filter on the 1G-GTEU needs to be nestled between the wheelwell and intake mani, but directly above a motor mount!:3d_frown: It's on the left side of the engine bay, but I have to slide under from the right, and my elbows need three hinges in them to reach the damn thing (hardlines in the way too).

To boot, it's horizontally mounted, so it leaks when I unscrew it, and all the oil runs down my arm and INTO MY FREAKIN' ARMPITS!!:cry: And to add insult to injury, you have to pour new oil into the block at the back of the motor, with not much room because the hood is in the way.

Tell me, do you JZ and 7M guys have this same problem with the filter location?

R1GG5

Supramania Contributor
Jun 22, 2009
Huntsvegas
Stock location on the 7M is piss poor as well. Sounds like you need to relocate your oil filter :D

SUPERIUM

Low Postage Member
Nov 29, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Last time I remember the Wix/Carquest filter is actually more expensive then a Toyota one and slightly larger in diameter as well which doesnt help. The one I got for my 83 5m was twice the size as a toyota one and white which isnt the greatest color.
I dont think the oil filter location on a 7m mk3 is bad at all, never had a problem. Not sure what its like on the 1g but it sounds like a pain.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
The first time I changed the oil in my old N/A 7M, I fought under the car for over a half an hour trying to figure out how to get the damn oil filter off....then right before I gave up, I was looking down into the engine bay and had an epiphany -- I just reached down and unscrewed it....LOL!

My Turbo is another story....fighting for about a half hour trying to get the damn filter off (and another 20 min or so getting it back on) because it's wedged (literally) between the lower radiator hose and IC hoses....fuck that shit. Now mine's gonna be under the passenger headlight/washer bottle....HA! Take that Toyota! :evil2::evil2:

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I still haven't changed the location of mine on the 2jz, and yea...its a bitch, but you get used to it.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
R1GG5;1376520 said:
Sounds like you need to relocate your oil filter :D

jdub;1376522 said:

That's what I was thinking too! lol Good to know that I'm not the only one who bitches about it.

Thanks for the link JDub, I've got it bookmarked on my computer, and noted in my Binder O' Stuff that I keep on the Supra.

Actually though, I'm surprised that the JZ-Swap-Pundits haven't piped up yet...

SrBigbutt

Apr 26, 2009
Spring, TX
I've only done it once on my 7mgte and it was a PITA as well. Took me forever to figure out how to get it loose. Once I figured that out, I was already full of oil and I tried to pull it down only to find that it wouldn't drop straight down. I had to toss it over the motor mount and of course it slipped out of my hand and flipped upside down and I poured oil all over myself!! :3d_frown:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
2jz are a bitch you have to loosen it from the bottom and remove it from the top or soemthing like that.

7m are easy as hell either gte or ge. idk why some of you complain about it. grab a extension and a oil filter wrench from mac or wat ev loosen it in 2 sec and hand twist it off i really dont see any problem other than not having the oil capicity and cooling as opposed to a full flow oil system. i think most of the hastle for most people is not having the right tools kinda like how some will say the 7m sucks when the problems just need to be adreased properly just like any motor.

Nocheez

Probably posts too much
Apr 17, 2005
Charlotte, NC
hvyman;1376961 said:
2jz are a bitch you have to loosen it from the bottom and remove it from the top or soemthing like that.

7m are easy as hell either gte or ge. idk why some of you complain about it. grab a extension and a oil filter wrench from mac or wat ev loosen it in 2 sec and hand twist it off i really dont see any problem other than not having the oil capicity and cooling as opposed to a full flow oil system. i think most of the hastle for most people is not having the right tools kinda like how some will say the 7m sucks when the problems just need to be adreased properly just like any motor.
The 7M is easy, but you still generally make a mess when doing it because of the shitty location.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Just dropped the 7mgte's filter again yesterday. And the whole time I was still saying to my self I hope they fired that toyota engineer. Then asked my self why I dont have the remote oil filter and cooler installed yet :nono:

This will be my last time I install a filter in that location on this engine.

BTW I also live in a small town (maybe 2,000 people on a good day) and the local parts store has the 51348 wix filter for $5.99. Not that bad of price I think.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
SUPERIUM;1376531 said:
Last time I remember the Wix/Carquest filter is actually more expensive then a Toyota one and slightly larger in diameter as well which doesnt help. The one I got for my 83 5m was twice the size as a toyota one and white which isnt the greatest color.
I dont think the oil filter location on a 7m mk3 is bad at all, never had a problem. Not sure what its like on the 1g but it sounds like a pain.

The new filters from toyota are too small for the 5M. The original filter is larger in diameter.

KicknAsphlt;1376589 said:
The first time I changed the oil in my old N/A 7M, I fought under the car for over a half an hour trying to figure out how to get the damn oil filter off....then right before I gave up, I was looking down into the engine bay and had an epiphany -- I just reached down and unscrewed it....LOL!

My Turbo is another story....fighting for about a half hour trying to get the damn filter off (and another 20 min or so getting it back on) because it's wedged (literally) between the lower radiator hose and IC hoses....fuck that shit. Now mine's gonna be under the passenger headlight/washer bottle....HA! Take that Toyota! :evil2::evil2:

LOL, you took it out the front? The 7M-GTE is simple peeps. I have a DDP and it's STILL this easy.

LU_005.gif

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
PWN3D by the TSRM....lol. Nah, didn't take it out the front..I took the filter out from above (on the GE motor) -- from the engine bay. The remote mount is mounted to the frame where the bumper slides in...there's a grouping of holes there, 2 out of 3 are the perfect distance for the remote mount...so I guess technically, it'll be right behind the passenger side fog light.

Poodles;1377295 said:
The new filters from toyota are too small for the 5M. The original filter is larger in diameter.

LOL, you took it out the front? The 7M-GTE is simple peeps. I have a DDP and it's STILL this easy.

LU_005.gif

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Oil filter location is a PITA on the gte. It turns down into a motor mount and subframe, next to a radiator hose, Ic pipe, oil lines, and the manifold braces. It is a tight fit and never fails to make a mess... And you really dont want to put your hand in there shortly after motor shutdown. People who think it easy must have small hands and skinny arms.

Now my 240sx, thats easy.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who makes a mess.

Seeing how awkward it was gonna be, I'm glad I waited for the oil to cool down, 'cause I don't know how I would have been able to explain burns in my armpits and not look like a tool...