Oil Burning Woes

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
So long story short I narrowed down my oil burning issue to valve seals, Im also only burning oil on one cylinder. #4 to be exact.

Compression on this cylinder is 175psi its adjacent cylinders are the same or there abouts. Leakdown for this cylinder is 5% leakage. Vacuum gauge diagnostic showed no valve guide related issue.

I just changed my valve stem seals on this one cylinder today and Im still burning oil, I will say not as bad as before but its still smoking none the less.

Did I miss anything, is there anything else I should look into? Did I perhaps install the seals incorrectly?

Help or Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
~JDMMA70

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Valve seals usually harden with age, uniformly. My guess is that you replaced the worst ones, but have another 5 cylinders that are still contributing. Can I ask why you would go to all that trouble and not replace them all?

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
The engine in the car currently was rebuilt approximately 6,000 miles ago. Via spark plug inspection none of the other cylinders are burning oil, only cylinder 4 is burning oil. So I just went ahead and replaced the seals on that cylinder only.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Yeah I did in fact. Every since the first crank it smoked a little but it go worse as time went on. So i figured something mustve happened during assembly. Im not sure what happened this time. All i can say is maybe i should try replacing the seals again. What else could it be?

Blackmk3

Apr 10, 2006
New Zealand
What brand seals did you use? id be more thinking its a quality issue with the seals to have failed this early after a rebuilt. I only use Toyota for this sort of component

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
I cant remember Id have to check the machine shop invoice but im certain they were. Regardless its not showing up when I do a vacuum gauge diagnostic test.