Oil burning... not the usual.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
Alright I just recently started to smell this aweful oil burning while at OP TEMPS only. The smell will come and go in traffic and on freeway driving its a bit more noticeable. This is of course only when the car hits OP TEMPS. I took off the according tube and found oil sitting on the lip of the ct26. No tracing on the plumbing ( I also have a Catch can with proper plumbing to intake tube and TB) and at the plumbing of the PCV system. Its burning as i can see it floating by sometimes.

I'm stumped on this. This is a Stock ct26 with over 180k... ( I know) rebuilt motor with 5k and on Castrol 0w-30 syntec.

Any advice would be nice.

PS. Spark plugs are clean from oil residue and can only find the normal bright red high speed glazing symptoms. Smell is not present when cat is installed; only when the test pipe is.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Could just be a tired turbo, it's obvious it's going out the exhaust, but it may not really be oil... Are you consuming oil?

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
O i know its oil burning. Been wrenching long enough. Well poodles I lose about 1/2 a quart every month. With or without the cat installed I'm burning it. I just don't have time to take off the turbo or the elbow to check for oil residue ( work got me pulling everyday 9 hr shifts ). I know its hard to assume something without checking, but getting advice from the manias on here can point me to other faults.

O yes I noticed the burning and loss of 2lbs of boost at gauge at the same time. Coincidence?

I might just be pushing the fact to the side that I do need a new turbo???

Thanks guys for your responses.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
after 2k of hard miles on the rebuild.

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 PM ----------

there is no burning on start up or decel.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Hmong_1G;1565050 said:
No tracing on the plumbing ( I also have a Catch can with proper plumbing to intake tube and TB) and at the plumbing of the PCV system. Its burning as i can see it floating by sometimes.

More info and pics of modified pcv system, please.

I think its your CT.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
dame. Looks like I'm gonna be out 7 benjamins.

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

it's the same setup on the mania page. I forgot whos diagram. Sorry on the punctuation. I'm on my pre phone. Only problem is my greddy canister is mount close to the exhaust manifold. I will be making a heatshield for it soon.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
UPDATE. I just started tearing into my supra. I found the BCPR7eix plugs as #1- high heat or lean condition #2 very minimal oil deposits #3 normal condition #4 - #6 not damp but looks like oil deposits ( very minimal too. I checked all piston top by looking down and see that the middle portion has carbon/oil deposits. The surrounding piston surface is clean. I then removed the lower IC from the turbo 2.25 and found the rubber coupling has a nasty tear ( about 1.5 inch in length). Checked for oil tracing but the pipe was very clean. I then removed the 02 elbow and found the turbine wheel free of any wet oil residue.

So guys this is what I'm figuring out. The oil deposits ( very minimal) on the spark plugs are normal. Could some how the slit in the coupling be causing a bad air and fuel mixture and produce the smoking? Again the smell is only noticeable on a op temp condition on the freeway.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
my ps pump is leaking. But it doesn't explain jow it got into into the exhaust system. It's weird. Just weird.

Hmong_1G

Name the Place and time.
Dec 31, 2008
California
yea sounds like the same symptoms. Onlything is my egr is hooked up and working. Ima try the new coupling and plugs to see if thw smoking goes away. It's on route from driftmotion already.