Oil and Oil filter. What do you use?

TomatoSupra

I have been using 10w - 30 conventional, but have seen a few threads about going to full synthetic. Any pro's/Cons in running Full Synthetic? Depending on your answer to the previous question, what oil and filter do you use?

Car/engine info. 88 N/A 7MGE 133k Miles. Never had synthetic before.

Thanks for the help.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you have oil leaks switching to synthetic could make them worse depending on which brand you use.

I use redline 5w30 and a purolator gold filter.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
When I had a 7MGE: GTX high mileage 5-30, PureONE filter.
After GE rebuild (from a BHG): Castrol Syntec (Made in Germany only) 0-30. PureONE or K&N filter.
GTE: Castrol Syntec (Made in Germany) 0-30. PureONE or KN Filter.

I'd also use Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 if German Castrol wasn't readily available.

I find that synthetic is cost effective. You can run 10k hard driven miles between changes (I do a filter at 5,000). This saves me on oil by taking longer intervals between changes and saves me time. I end up doing one change a year and two filters. All of this applies to my other vehicle (99 Land Cruiser) as well.

TomatoSupra

Thanks for the feedback guys, i think I'll go with the GTX High mileage and a wix oil filter.

And as far as the leaking goes, i would honestly rather it leak with synthetic blend and replace whats leaking, then to just trickle leak now and not have me find out until something blows up.

Im not sure when i am going to do my HG, but after i will look into doing that German Castrol Synthetic stuff.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I have used Penzoil Plat 5W-30 for years now. Like most, its a GrpIII base, but has good recommendations on BITOG. NAPA Gold filter (same as Wix).

Suggest you run 1 qt over full given your leak problem.

atmperformance

Sep 17, 2013
San jose
I'm running GTX conventional at the moment with a wix and Trasko Bypass Filter. I'll be switching my oil after break in. I use to use mobile 1 strictly for my mk4 but with my 7m motor I'll probably be using walmart oil (if it holds up) so i change my oil more often as i may not be daily driving my mk3.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
will be running rotella t6 15-40 this year i believe is the weight.
Have ran many different oils in the past. i am a pretty big mobil 1 fan. 10-30 at first then ran 15-40.
I have royal purple in the engine now as it is a bit better with e85 than mobil is 15-40.
The 7m likes the heavier weight a bit over 10-30.

For a filter I love to use wix filters, they are great. I have a toyota filter on it right now since im trying to use my old stock up since my new engine will want something a bit better for higher oil pressure. I forget what brand i will be using with my new engine, but its for higher oil pressures, as the new engine could see them at start up.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
TomatoSupra;1992953 said:
Did you have any issues when you switched from conventional oil?

No, I'm not sure what the previous owner had in it, but I've had it for 17k miles now and only used the valvoline. I did have to replace my valve cover gaskets and distributor O-ring but I don't think the oil caused this, I'm sure this was due to old age. The only other leak I still have is my valve stem seals, but that as well I'm sure is due to age.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I've run the Wix 51515 filter for a while now. Before that, the Purolator PL30001. For a while, I ran Redline's 5W30 mixed with a little of their 5W40. But, then I decided that was too thick and wasn't worth the money, so I switched to Penzoil Ultra 5W30.

aixgelo78

Jan 27, 2014
Cherry Hill, NJ
How do you drive your car?

I run thicker weight oil if Im harder on a car and if its modded, with my wifes car, I use 5-30. With filters, I try to use OEM as much as I can, or at least a brand name filter of some sort.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I personally would not run penzoil in my enemies car

I've only heard terrible things about it.... It seems odd so many of you use it... Especially pi..I feel torn now because I trust your judgment.. Any reason you run it?

I always run quart over full the only 2 times I've been at the bottom of the checkered section of the dipstick I've rod knocked.... Maybe just my bad luck lol

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
jetjock;1993440 said:
Been well respected for some time among those who study this stuff. The old days when Pennz had a bad rep are long gone...

So they've cleaned up their act on all of their products, or just the synthetic? I didn't know they were out of the clearing. Of course I don't get around to BITOG much either.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
redline 5w30 eneos 5w30 and castrol syn 0w30 with a carquest blue(wix) filter or a bosch. they dont make castrol syntec anymore its edge now *shrug* bought 0w30 syntec for 1.40 a qt... got half a pallet >=)

not sure why anyone would want to run rotella... or any 40 weight