Oil Analysis - Post your VOA and UOA Here

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I agree, get a better filter then submit new samples after 3K on new oil with the new air filter.

If the wear comes down, then you can start extending the distance between your oil changes.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Are you using a K&N air filter? If so, it's crap...get an AEM dryflow if you are going to stick with a cone type filter.

On other thing I noticed is your TBN has dropped to half of what that oil started at (11.3)...while Blackstone is correct concerning the additives and the TBN, a 50% drop over 3000 miles is a lot. TBN is an indicator of the oil's ability to "clean up" acidic combustion byproducts that oxidize oil...detergent additives are used up in the process. It's not the present level that's a concern, it's the rate of detergent consumption your TBN is showing.

Change this oil soon and get a new air filter.

CyFi6;1174162 said:
The air filter in there now is just a regular stock looking filter, nothing performance related. It is the same one tat came on the car when i bought it over a year ago. Are the stock replacement filters from pepboys and other auto pars stores sufficient? I don't really want to go away from the stock air box so id like to get something that fits in there.

Ahhh...even better. You want an AC Delco filter...it's the best. A Baldwin air filter would be the next choice, but that may be hard to find. Wix air filters are above average for a 3rd choice.

CyFi6;1174869 said:
Assuming contamination brought up my silicon levels, would it also account for my excessive bearing (Pb) and Fe levels? If not, what could have caused this wear?

Personally, I think that's a bad assumption. ;)
Especially with an air filter that's over a year old.

If you have dust/dirt from your intake being sucked into the cylinders, it's like sandpaper. Yes, you will show higher wear metals as a result.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
CyFi6;1174869 said:
Assuming contamination brought up my silicon levels, would it also account for my excessive bearing (Pb) and Fe levels? If not, what could have caused this wear?

jdub;1174882 said:
Personally, I think that's a bad assumption. ;)
Especially with an air filter that's over a year old.

If you have dust/dirt from your intake being sucked into the cylinders, it's like sandpaper. Yes, you will show higher wear metals as a result.

The data doesn't add up. If it were just elevated silicon, I'd suspect your sample was contaminated, but those hight Pb and Fe levels coupled with the silicon indicate engine wear due to poor air filtration.

Replace the filter, wait 3,000 miles, test again and report back.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I just had an analysis on my oil done with 4,038 miles on the oil (Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Euro Formula). Couple things I don't like - here is the analysis

Wear metal PPM
Copper 3
Aluminum 3
Iron 10
Silicone 11
Chromium 1
Lead 7
silver 0
Nickel 1
Tin 4
Sodium 41

Viscosity
100 Deg. C in cst 8.8 ?? should be around 12.2 :1zhelp:

Neg Fuel Dilution
Neg Anit Freeze dilution
.05 % water
0% soot

Additive Element PPM
Zinc 1181
Phosphorous 993
Calcium 2234
Magnesium 566
Barium 0

I had Benz Oil in Milwaukee Wisconsin do the testing but think I will be switching to Blackwood since they give you a better comments/recommendation and have a few more things they test for.

Last edited:

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It would help to get specifics on the oil you are using...sorry, but I don't have that memorized for all the people I deal with on that subject here.

The wear metals are at the upper range or a bit high, but overall not that bad. I would suspect the same issue as above...dirt/dust getting past the air filter.

The viscosity is a different story...that is a pretty big amount for the oil to shear down. Oil temps?

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
oops, forgot I didn't post that. I am using the holy grail of oil, Castrol Syntec 0W-30 Euro Formula. I don't know what the oil temps are but I doubt they are high enough to warrant that kind of oil shear down.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
I assume this is a 7M? I'm curious...what kind of air filter do you have and when was it changed?

I have never seen GC shear that much with that mileage...that is ?W-20 viscosity. Since GC is a PAO oil, it does not have the VII content you see in other oils that can be a cause of this magnitude shear. Heat is the only other explanation since you are not showing any fuel dilution. What cooler circuit do you have?

This assumes the analysis is correct...I'd have it double checked to be sure. If it is accurate, I would change the oil.
BTW - you should always have a TBN done in an oil analysis.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
It is 7m with stock oil cooling circuit.

I bought the car in may with 82,000 miles on it and put on a brand new Apex intake with apex filter at that time.

I change the oil right when i bought the car and used 10W-40 GTX. Then after reading what was on this site I decided to change the oil to the GC 0W-30 and did this after 3000 miles.

I did the analysis on the GC when i changed my oil with 4000 miles on it. I knew this was early to change the GC but it was just the easiest way for me to get the sample using the tools I have at college. I did put in fresh GC at this time.

Either way I have serious doubts that the viscosity number is correct, but it is really hard to say. I did fill another sample bottle when I changed the oil so maybe I will see if blackstone can analyze the oil using someone elses bottle kit...

The car only has the intake, and BIC DDP to 2.5 inch straight pipe for mods so I doubt the oil was overly warm even during times that I was driving the car hard. I have also done a compression test on the motor around 89,000 miles and it was 150 across the board.

I always watch the oil pressure gauge I when cruising on the highway (during a long drive lets say) the pressure is always right up around 40. After driving the car hard and taking it up on the highway the pressure is in the same spot when you take it to highway speeds cruising. This is with the stock gauge, but mine seems to be pretty accurate, and if it isn't accurate it at least reads the same under the same conditions day to day.

Also what is a TBN?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
TBN = Total Base Number. This tells you the remaining ability of the oil to neutralize acidic byproducts of combustion. If everything else is good, you use this number to determine when to change the oil.

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
jdub;1179819 said:
TBN = Total Base Number. This tells you the remaining ability of the oil to neutralize acidic byproducts of combustion. If everything else is good, you use this number to determine when to change the oil.

ok, yes they did not give me this number. but they do say in their comments section that this oil is good condition and is suitable for continued use...which is funny since the viscosity is 8.8 and its a 30 weight oil (they knew what oil i was using).

Like I said I think i am switching to black stone. And I think since my oil pressure never changed throughout using the oil that the viscosity probably didn't change much either. Even with the new oil the gauge does exactly what it did with the old stuff under the same conditions...

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
My brothers oil change interval went longer than expected.
I suggested he should have it tested.
It turned out better than I expected, definitely used the whole life of the oil.

Here are the results.
LMK what you guys think.
p1309260_1.jpg

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's damn good for 15K miles...looks like that motor likes Mobil 1 ;)
Illustrates a case in point...most people change their oil way too often.

Does that engine run rich? I'd take steps to reduce the fuel dilution. Use a better air filter (AC Delco for stock air box) and change it per the manual interval...that will help the wear metals.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
People DO change their oil too often! :)

Were trying GC this time around at 10k, oil analysis again.
Was on sale and figured why not.

I would say that the engine probably does not run rich (55mpg), the stop start characteristics may have some impact on the fuel getting past the rings.
Will look in to what may be causing the fuel dilution with this 1.5L engine.

Will check to see the last time the air filter(s) were changed, there are 2 in series so I would be surprised to see anything going through them.

Running GC in my DD now and will do an oil analysis at 7,500mi to see how much life is left in it.
I am hoping for 15,000mi, but well see.
Those results will be posted here also.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Get a TBN as well...that will tell you how much life is left in the oil to neutralize acids.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Oil analysis without TBN would be frightful (and handicapped). :)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
LOL...tis true ;)
The one in the analysis is right at the min I would accept...I have to say (though I dislike Mobil 1 oil), 15K is damn impressive. If the GC doesn't meet expectations, I'd switch back.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Will do.

I suspect the fuel dilution to come down as temperatures here have risen.
The Prius was driven in the winter and it was damn cold here some days.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Here is my sample, what do you all think? NA-T done about 2-3 thousand km's ago maybe...Might explain the silcone, that or a leak, or my shitty air filter.

Lead is scaring me. Glad to see no potassium or coolant/water.

The rebuild was done by the PO, and I only took his word so you never no, but its got the signs of one...

Attachments

• Oil.pdf
    67 KB · Views: 24

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yep, the lead is a cause for concern..copper and tin are a bit high too. All point at the bearings. Is this the 1st fill after the rebuild?
(i.e. did the PO change the oil right after 100 miles and then again after 500? Or, did he fill and go till you changed it?).

What kind of air filter are you using?

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
jdub;1353577 said:
Yep, the lead is a cause for concern..copper and tin are a bit high too. All point at the bearings. Is this the 1st fill after the rebuild? (i.e. did the PO change the oil right after 100 miles and then again after 500? Or, did he fill and go till you changed it?).

What kind of air filter are you using?

Im sure he changed it, he told me he was a Nissan tech for 10+years, and he did the head retorque after a few heat cycles. Told me he had the deck/head machined ect.(Wish I knew then what I know now, I'd have A LOT more questions) I've changed it 3-4 times I think myself, the sample was taken on the second oil change since I turbo'ed it IIRC, and the first one after the cam swap. Makes me wonder why the viscosity is low with such little km's on it...maybe the fuel?

Time well tell I guess...If I ever get home to drive it haha..