OEM Sub

applesauce

Banned Scammer
Aug 24, 2006
Virginia
I know there is other threads about this but they are all old...

I just hooked my OEM Sub up w/ an aftermarket Amp and it sounds awsome. It has 2 6.5" subs. It suprised they hell out of me when i cut it on and tuned the amp right. WoW! to think they had boom like this back in the day... It sounds better than a 8", I can even compare it to a 10".

Im sure everyone is gonna say why OEM, why not after market. Its all preference I guess... We all have our own taste. My taste is JDM TYTE.

SPD TRP

Formerly 3rdtimearound
Apr 12, 2005
Katy Texas
applesauce;1050515 said:
I know there is other threads about this but they are all old...

I just hooked my OEM Sub up w/ an aftermarket Amp and it sounds awsome. It has 2 6.5" subs. It suprised they hell out of me when i cut it on and tuned the amp right. WoW! to think they had boom like this back in the day... It sounds better than a 8", I can even compare it to a 10".

Im sure everyone is gonna say why OEM, why not after market. Its all preference I guess... We all have our own taste. My taste is JDM TYTE.

Shoot us some pics of those oem subs, don't think I have evre seen them.

Wayne

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
yeah, please do. I've got 2 JL 6.5's that I wanted to shoehorn into the back speaker pods but this sounds like it might be far easier.

Yep it does kick, considering those subs are older than me haha. Seriously though, I heard them 1st hand and they are good subs. The enclosure is like ABS or a denser plastic, and the carpet he has is a jdm trunk carpet that does not use the wooden board. Which also has a cut out specifically for the sub. He just wants to be different...JDM TYTe yO..z:sarcasm:

deabionni

The Lurker
Sep 16, 2007
Kalkaska, MI
p1050705_1.gif

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
With two 6.5 subs you will have an SD (cone area) of an approximately 9" sub. A typical 6.5 sub would have a little over 17 in. sq. a typical 8" would have around 32 in.sq and 10 anywhere between 52 to 60 or more depending on design. Cone area and Xmax determine how much air the sub can move, thus is an important value when you estimate how "loud" the sub will be.

Spaniard

Banned
Oct 21, 2005
La pearla PR
I will say. I know almost nothing about sound systems first-off. But everyone talks about the OEM sub not doing much and a decent 8" would be better. Couldnt you take the OEM box and upgrade the speakers to something much nicer and more modern? Then may amp them and they would be good for some mid-sound bass? The OEM unit cant be terribly.

I will say, its uber JDM rare.

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
Spaniard;1097632 said:
I will say. I know almost nothing about sound systems first-off. But everyone talks about the OEM sub not doing much and a decent 8" would be better. Couldnt you take the OEM box and upgrade the speakers to something much nicer and more modern? Then may amp them and they would be good for some mid-sound bass? The OEM unit cant be terribly.

I will say, its uber JDM rare.

I've got two JL 0W6s that I'm going to throw in mine...Either way, it should sound better than the stock 5" woofers that are in the back right now.